2004 Honda Odyssey Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a lot of Honda tranny failures in the Odyssey. I'm getting a very quiet whine out of my transmission, but it's been there with no increase for the last 20K miles. There is 43K on the tranny now. The dealer says he suspects that it's a bearing. He gave me the option of getting a rebuilt tranny, which I didn't take. Why? In some cases the rebuilt trannies fail within 15-25K. I figured if I took care of this one, I'd be better off.

I figured this was the best place to help me figure out what to do/not to do. (Thanks in advance.)

1. Should I start with an oil analysis?

2. What do I need to do to get this tranny to last? Change fluids often? Use a diffferent fluid? Use a UOA? Put on a tranny cooler?

3. Should I consider a different fluid than Honda's ATF named Z1? I want to use something that's proven to be OK. I did change the ATF at 36K miles, which was 8K ago.

4. There is a transmission filter. Should I change that now? It's supposedly a lifetime filter, but many joes are changing it.

The issue with the Honda trannies appears to be:
The five-speed models typically were damaged by premature wear of the third-gear clutch pack. As the clutch friction material abraded, it scattered bits inside the transmission case, clogging fluid lines and causing erratic shifting.

Why does Honda insist on such an odd design for their automatic transmissions? Most use planetary gear sets and brake bands, but Honda continues to insist on building it like a manual transmission converted to an automatic, with 3 shafts and clutch paks standing in for gears sliding along the shaft for engagement.
UNQUOTE

Thanks,

Dan

If he's giving you the option of the rebuilt transmission, TAKE IT AND RUN.

Seriously. There have been issues with Honda remanufactured units, but they are less common now than before.

The 2004+ Honda transmissions should have the latest updates installed to improve durability...or so they say.

The rebuilt units are essentially old cores which have completely new parts.

You better take up the offer...Acura recently released a bulletin in their ServiceNews telling dealers to not replace whining units as they are considered "normal." If your dealership is willing to replace it, jump on it immediately.

Get the rebuilt unit NOW.

With the rebuilt unit, install an aftermarket filter using the commonly available PH8a sized oil filter. Transdapt, B&M, and Permacool have kits. Install some magnets on the filter to improve filtration(home made Filtermag).

With the rebuilt unit, consider a 6 months drain/refill regimen using OEM or Amsoil ATF. Change the aftermarket filter once a year. And, change that OEM filter every 30k miles.

Their odd design is what works for them and their engineers. Nothing wrong with it. I bet that somewhere some cost accountants or engineers got fired for this transmisssion issue!

I would change the fluid with Z1 every 15k miles and the filter every 30k miles or maybe 15k miles if its easy to get to. Specialy Formulations would be a good option when they get the store back up and running.

I would get a UOA every 15k miles.

Has the tranny been leaking any fluid?

What kind of warranty comes with the rebuilt? 100k miles? Was the warranty extended on the OEM unit like it was on some of the 4-speed 6th generation Accords? Are they taking care of the labor & parts? If so, I would take them up on that this afternoon.

There's really not much of a take care of the transmission & it won't fail. This is not a failure from owner neglect or abuse. These are design/power issues.

The 2004 and later Honda V6 transmissions are supposedly "fixed," so there's no warranty extension on them.

A reman unit carries the balance of the factory warranty, or 1-yr/12k, whichever is longer. But it has been known for dealerships to offer a purchase of a 3-yr/36k warranty extension policy for a minimal amount if a reman unit is installed out-of-warranty.

I thought part of the failures were poor fluid travel on certain parts of the gears, and Honda did institute a fix for that issue. I'd take the rebuilt tranny myself as it likely has the updated fixes. In any case your warranty would not be any shorter, so go for the rebuilt one IMO.

That was only one of the issues of the pre-2004 Honda V6 transmissions. Rapid clutch wear was the real and common cause of failure. The 2004 models have the integrated oil jet so the inadequate lube problem is a non-issue.

Honda's transmission problems seem to have been resolved those I'm still hearing a lot of whine complaints that have been deemed "normal."

This trans and the 4 speed before it and even the BGRA like i have (2005-2006) are underdesigned for the application. i see 2 choices for all us ody owners: 1. give it the minimum tratment (drain and fill every 30k with Z1) and expect it to die in warranty and get a reman.
2. give it extreme love and attention and go for 200k+. use the white paper towel test FREQUENTLY to see when the fluid is getting heat oxidation and change (many owners are doing drain and fills every 7500 miles). i just did my first at 11750, with UOA which i will post in another thread.
do a complete fluid "change" (really 3 drain and fills in succession)every 30k.
change the external filter every 50k.
install a cooler as soon as warranty up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back