2004 Honda Accord 2.4L 14,100mi 0w-20 QS syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a year OCI's since the last UOA in 2011. Typically running 12k, this year a hair past 14k, with a real hard winter. And I seem to be on a 4 year UOA cycle, so the timing was right to do another.

Oil filter was M1. Oil was Quaker State 0w-20 Synthetic.

2004AccordUOA2014Fall_zpsf3d336de.jpeg

So 4 years ago you ran 7k miles and got TBN of 1.9, and now you decided to go to 14k miles and with no top up you got TBN of 2.2.

What oil did you use in the last uoa?

And what gave you the confidence to run to 14k miles this time and 12k miles since your last UOA of 7k miles?

Wow!
Nice engine and nice oil.
QSUD appears to be just as capable as any of the big boys.
No need for M1 EP, Ultra or AMS in this engine as you use it.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
So 4 years ago you ran 7k miles and got TBN of 1.9, and now you decided to go to 14k miles and with no top up you got TBN of 2.2.

What oil did you use in the last uoa?

And what gave you the confidence to run to 14k miles this time and 12k miles since your last UOA of 7k miles?

Slow your roll Apollo.

The previous run of 7k+ 4 years ago was generic green bottle Quaker State 5w-20 from Menards. While oil color is not a significant factor, I believed I wasn't stressing oils enough based on just how clean they were coming out. That may not give everyone "confidence" to go 10k+, but I am not everyone.

14k miles honestly snuck up on me, as we traveled most heavily in our SUV vs my commuter Accord. But as I mentioned, I am down to once a year changes, and always in Fall. I wasn't watching mileage, as typically its 12k per year tops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wow!

I have run out of my Menards stash of various QS bottles and got tired of sending in rebates. So I have been buying from Wallyworld in 5qt jugs. This time around I poured in M1EP 0w-20 for an extra $5.

Yet another reason why I absolutely love my 2005 K24 with 212k on the clock and zero issues. My last UOA with M1 EP came back at 12.5k nearly perfect.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
how much top off?

Zero top off. Never need to, but I did consider this time around because it was at the top of the low mark. It was ready for a full quart top off.

5qts went in and a little more than 3.5 came out. Typically the waste oil will fill a gallon container perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Autodarken
Wow!

I have run out of my Menards stash of various QS bottles and got tired of sending in rebates. So I have been buying from Wallyworld in 5qt jugs. This time around I poured in M1EP 0w-20 for an extra $5.

Whatever for?
It would be intersting to see how the EP looks after similar maileage, though.

Very nice - although you're crushing the spirits of the OCD 5k mile OCI, Fram Ultra, tri-nuclear moly crowd. This kind of info just does not compute for them. Thanks for posting, you may have kept a jug or two on the shelves a bit longer at Walmart.

Impressive report. Makes my 8k oci look pedestrian. The pppp 5w-20 currently in my k24 should make it to 10k easily, which you've shamed me into considering. (I do enjoy changing the oil) My concern now is if the P1 filter will make it that far without tearing.

Just a word of caution: there have been reports of timing chain tensioner issues with the k24 when it is run low on oil; it seems the chain will skip teeth. I'm not sure a quart is considered low, but just thought I'd mention it.

Wonder what the TAN would have looked like.

How is everything else holding up on the car?

Thanks for the report.

Originally Posted By: Autodarken
Wow!

Whatever for?

Well, if you think about it, I had to buy oil before I could drain the old and do a UOA. So an extra $5 for EP...I figured I cant go wrong.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: k24a4

How is everything else holding up on the car?

Abnormally well. It hasn't seen a shop for anything but tires and one or two very early recalls. And I while I treat it nice with fresh fluids (ALL) I don't drive it so nice. It even see's more frequent towing duty than our SUV. Never mind that its always towing a 4x8 trailer that never weighs more than 1000lbs and trips are always less than 120 miles or most often...local.

Since I brought it up...and we all love pics...this is the biggest ATV its ever towed. A 2006 Polaris 500X2.
DSC03311_zps8a7d8c9b.jpg

Brings me back. Remember three-wheelers? We had a Honda 200s in the '80's, what a fun ride that was! New it was, I think, $1200?

Those alloys look good, how are they now 7 years later? Mine are [censored], the weights the tire shop use compromised the finish, I didn't know enough at the time to get the glue on type.

Although a good report be careful. UOA does not show everything. Honda engines have small screens to protect the VVT screens, etc..

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Honda's 2.4 has to go down as one of the greatest auto motors ever.

Ya, I had a buddy at work that had one of theses cars, he had purchased it new. It was pushing 400k when the trans finally went. To top it off he was not all that great about taking care of it, didn't use synthetic oil and always pushed the limits on everything.

How about the trans? These are undoubtedly great cars...comfortable, good handling and good mileage (plus nice looking...great design). My information was that their only downside is the 5 speed auto transmission of this generation which is prone to lots of problems/failures. I would seriously consider a good used one of the 03-07 generation but have always been concerned about the trannie. It sounds here like there are units that are making it without problems...probably with good maintenance? Nice report btw...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back