2004 Honda 5 speed Auto Trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant speak for the tranny being the same, but I have a 5sp auto in my 04 Accord 4cy that does the SAME exact thing. And in some cases, warm or cold, can be pretty loud.

I've brought it up to my dealer, twice. The first time they said it was gear lash being taken up, and I challenged that casue the car was often moving a split second before the second "whack" was heard. The second time, all they said was, "this is normal".

I hate it. It bugs me. And a fluid swap (3 qts Amsoil) did nothing.

it is the same trans. I hate it as well...hence the post. I was thinking of switching to Amsoil myself...thanks for the update.

New 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions use a Lepelletier system, and not the old planetary gearset. Do you know if the Honda uses conventional planetary system, or the Lepelletier system?

I recently bought a used 2004 AWD Saturn Vue Redline with the Honda 3.5 v6 and 5 speed auto trans. It had 21,000 miles on it when I bought it, and has about 27,000 on it now. I used 5w-20 Castorl GTX with a Wix filter ('cuz I know someone would ask). I have used it and will continue to use it to tow my boat and other assorted trailers up to the rated 3500 lb. capacity. I plan on installing a tranny cooler and new fluid once a year. My question is:

When I switch from R to D or N to D or even P to D, you can feel the two different clutch packs engaging at different times. First one grabs, then a half second or so later the second one grabs. The fluid is up to the top, and doesn't seem to be dirty or burnt. Is this normal? Would switching to Mobil synth or other fluid quicken this engagement? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

A fluid swap of Amsoil....maybe that could be your problem. Folks, I'm telling you, your playing with fire around a barrel of gasoline when you swap out the Z1 stuff for "others."

Quote:

New 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions use a Lepelletier system, and not the old planetary gearset. Do you know if the Honda uses conventional planetary system, or the Lepelletier system?

The Honda AT does NOT use a planetary gearset.

Quote:

A fluid swap of Amsoil....maybe that could be your problem. Folks, I'm telling you, your playing with fire around a barrel of gasoline when you swap out the Z1 stuff for "others."

Zero difference between the original Z-1 and Amsoil. Amsoil's been on the clock for 60k now in my Civic. It's NOT an issue.

I've got the '06 version. Does the same thing.
I always wait until the second engagement before hitting the gas.
You can check out SaturnFans.com for more Saturn specific information.
I'm curious how Amsoil fluid will perform long term with this specific tranny design. 5spd AT mated to the 3.5L V6.

60K ain't nothing. The majority of the failures on these transmissions are happening post 100K. Time will tell.

its my understanding that the main failures on this tranny are due to bearing problems in the third gear due to low oil flow. EP additives will do little to prolong rolling element bearing life. A lubricant with a better base oil that stays in grade longer may though.

My understanding was the problem was lack of lubrication to the 2nd gear in the '02 to early '04 models. A TSB detailed the installation of an oil jet into the fill plug at the top of the case to feed oil to the 2nd gear.
Transaxle was then re-designed to correct the issue.

Also, the Saturn Vue version of the transaxle is different. Cooler lines are at the drivers side front edge and the filter is not serviceable unless you split the case. I haven't been able to match it up to any Honda version yet. Not easy information to find if you don't have access to the manuals.

Quote:

My understanding was the problem was lack of lubrication to the 2nd gear in the '02 to early '04 models. A TSB detailed the installation of an oil jet into the fill plug at the top of the case to feed oil to the 2nd gear.
Transaxle was then re-designed to correct the issue.

Your right...my bad. I don't know where I was pulling my info from.

"My understanding was the problem was lack of lubrication to the 2nd gear in the '02 to early '04 models. A TSB detailed the installation of an oil jet into the fill plug at the top of the case to feed oil to the 2nd gear.
Transaxle was then re-designed to correct the issue. "

That was one problem. It is lots more often that the third clutch pack goes bad and lots of clutch fragments go everywhere and clog up the trans fluid circulation. Then the tranny will not shift or will shift 5th gear to 2nd at freeway speed. Not good. Failures do occur after the 2nd gear recall because the 2nd gear recall does not fix the bigger problem.
This is bad because the recall does not fix the real problem at all. Frightening. This 5 speed is similar to many Honda Acura 5 spd auto tranny's. I am not familiar with the Saturn but some are supposed to be made by Honda. Here is one of many threads about the Acura CL 5 speed tranny. http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104677

Quote:

actually the Lepelletier scheme IS a planetary system with a Ravigneaux gearset
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk...er6speed.htmlux

the Honda trans is a countershaft (non-planetary) design which (basically) is a manual with clutch packs in place of synchros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back