2004 GM 1500 5.3 V8 Amsoil SSO 17216 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an updated post on my friends pick-up. He hauls a 4,000lb trailer daily with this vehicle as part of his electrical supply sales business. I installed Amsoil SSO and an EAO filter for him (he'd been going to Oil Can Henry's every 4k miles prior for fills of Castrol GTX), but I wish I would have asked him about air filtration. Come to find out he was running a K&N rock catcher and the silicon is evident
09.gif
. No make-up oil was added during this interval. Needless to say he is sticking with the SSO and EAO combo following a severe service 17,500 mile PM schedule.
SSOGM1500.jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't look like SSO - Zinc and Calcium are too high.

You sure this wasn't actually HDD 5W-30?

TBN is strong for a 17k run!

Black 1 gallon bottles with AJ's signature and gold caps...I might have had a few beers in me at the time, but it looked like SSO to me LOL!

I did run the engine flush product through the vehicle for 20 minutes before dumping the previous castrol fill. That wouldn't explain the Zinc though.

I'm a big believer in Amsoil. Not running it currently, but UOA's like this make me think of running it again.

SSO is a true performer. I look at a UOA like this and think SSO would be a winner in a little 2.3L like mine. My oil capacity is 5 quarts, so this would indicate I would have NO issues.

Nice run..keep at it.

SSO definitely has my support. I do think that if anyone is going to run Amsoil or Mobil EP extended out they must ensure that their base mechanical condition is solid. The checklist should include air filtration, the coolant system, PCV and a quick idle watch to verify an injector isn't screwed up or leaking down. I am a huge fan of running their engine flush prior to switching over too. It really seems to give the oil a head start.

I was a little buzzed on microbrew when I performed this maintenance and was greasing ball joints before pulling the drain plug and snagging my UOA sample. Could have been me who trace contaminated it. Could be OAI too, but LI is an odd one off to be cross detected wrongly by ICP.

Castrol uses Sodium in their oil, so I'm assuming that's what the previous sample is, and the Na is this sample.

SSO is 'supposed' to be SM-level of adds, and the previous Castrol didn't have excessive Zinc in it, so I'd love to know how the Zn got THAT high - poor QC at Amsoil? Or maybe some STP thrown in at some point?

I don't know about the additive via STP. This guy doesn't pop the hood too often if you know what I mean. He did run a bottle of PI in the tank but that wouldn't explain the zinc or lithium. Again I could of flubbed up the sampling with poor technique too. I was greasing and handling the sample bottle while on my back with blurred vision and a large grin.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

SSO is 'supposed' to be SM-level of adds, and the previous Castrol didn't have excessive Zinc in it, so I'd love to know how the Zn got THAT high - poor QC at Amsoil? Or maybe some STP thrown in at some point?

Could be lab error.

You friend should stick with Amsoil SSO. Maybe adjust his oci to 15K. His truck will love him if he gets a different Air Filter.

Yes sir. He put a nice parts store choker paper element in as an air filter and has noticed no change in performance or mileage- believe it LOL! I wish that I could have come up with the $60 air filter
20.gif
business model!

Looks good. 15k seems to be the sweet spot for extended drain intervals.

Pick up an Amsoil EAA Air Filter and he's set!

How many miles on the vehicle...?

About 72,000 when I did his last oil change...he's probably pushing 85,000 right now. I'll pull a UOA when we change it out next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back