2004 Ford F-250 5.4

I will stretch the interval if I go with Schaeffer which is what it looks like I’ll do. We hit 3k in about 6 months and it was handy to bring it in for an oil change and a grease job. So here’s a question, if anyone here were to go by date on an oil change and run for 12 months when would you change? I would think fall or early winter so that any condensation is gone and if the oil were to thicken on an OCI that it would be back to original for the cold months.
Agree with a Fall change.

That was the originally specified oil IIRC.
No, it's spec'd 5W20. And, it was increased from 6 qts. to 7 qts. beginning in 2004 (5.4 3V).

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil. Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API). To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by Ford warranty. Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed in the scheduled maintenance guide. Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up engine noises or knock may be experienced. 2004 F150 (f12) Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt) USA English (fus)

Last edited:
My son has an 04 F150 (New style) with the 5.4 3V. His shop foreman recommended he run 5W30 oil in it.
Its funny how we just had a discussion regarding thin vs thick oils and I mentioned that a lot of Ford modular engines probably have been run their entire lives on oil other than 5w-20.

No, it's spec'd 5W20. And, it was increased from 6 qts. to 7 qts. beginning in 2004 (5.4 3V).

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil. Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API). To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by Ford warranty. Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed in the scheduled maintenance guide. Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up engine noises or knock may be experienced. 2004 F150 (f12) Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt) USA English (fus)
OK sure; but safe to say since Ford went back to 5w-30 on V8 engines a year or two back (and 5.0 for 2021) that they would do the same for the 5.4.

And I'll say again that the 5.4L V8 million mile engine featured in the Schaeffer Oil video was run on 15w-40.

OK sure; but safe to say since Ford went back to 5w-30 on V8 engines a year or two back (and 5.0 for 2021) that they would do the same for the 5.4.

And I'll say again that the 5.4L V8 million mile engine featured in the Schaeffer Oil video was run on 15w-40.
But what oil filters are you running or what is best for the 5.4L 2v

At least in the later 5.4 3V motors, with variable valve timing, I have seen it suggested that a 30W is better because the oil pumps on them begin to leak at some point, which ultimately creates a low pressure situation in the valvetrain and ruins the motor. The best thing you can do is upgrade to a high pressure Melling pump, but thicker oil can help, too.

Millions of miles on the 2v 5.4 with 5w-20 with no issues.
Yes it was back-specked from 5w-30, but from my research the 5w-20 helps with the timing chain tensioners being able to pressurize faster than 5w-30, helping reduce chain and tensioner wear and possibly failure. How true that is, no idea, but I run xw-20 oils in mine.
There is some truth to this I think. Contrary to popular belief by many people here, I have seen plenty of failed 4.6 2V engines at government auctions. A lot of agencies are very upfront with their maintenance practices and on engines with internal failure, 10W-40 (most common) and even 15W-40 seem to be the common oil grades used. I can’t remember ever seeing a failed 4.6 being fed 5W-20. However, I think most departments used 5W-30 in the 4.6 since the Chevys in their fleet needed 5W-30 and it’s much simpler to just stick one oil grade. I know down here in Texas 10W-30 is a very common oil grade for municipalities. I wouldn’t want a 10W-xx oil in an OHC unless that is the manufacturer recommendation.

I will be changing to Schaeffer 5w40 and see how it likes it. If I notice any difference that is negative (I’m not even sure what it might be) I’ll try a 5w30. My mind is made up due to the simple fact that I use 5w40 in almost everything else and only kept the MC 5w20 for this truck. I don’t expect any issues and plan to see a long happy life with this truck. It is worked hard but is very well cared for at the same time.

I now there was a 600,000 mi F250 5.4L 2V in California that ran 15W-40 it's entire life so I doubt the 5W-40 will be an issue.

I will be changing to Schaeffer 5w40 and see how it likes it. If I notice any difference that is negative (I’m not even sure what it might be) I’ll try a 5w30. My mind is made up due to the simple fact that I use 5w40 in almost everything else and only kept the MC 5w20 for this truck. I don’t expect any issues and plan to see a long happy life with this truck. It is worked hard but is very well cared for at the same time.

How did your Dad's truck do on the -40?

Back