2004 E500 31300miles on "Lifetime" Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious to see what Blackstone has to say about my oil anaylisis . The oil in there is suppoed to be "Lifetime"

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Transmission
EQUIPMENT MODEL: Mercedes E500 Automatic
FUEL TYPE: Not Applicable

OIL USE INTERVAL: 31,300 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Auto Transmission Fluid
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED:None

Comments: This is an amended report with the correct mileage. If this transmission gives you any trouble in the near future we would be as surprised as you. Our average oil sample from this type unit has 25,770 miles on it, a long run, but hardly a lifetime. Wear read near perfectly but you may want to have the oil changed out anyway due to the trace of moisture. We didn't have enough sample to run the viscosity and flash point tests. We doubt the moisture is a concern and since everything else looks good, we thing the oil can go longer. Check back in 20,000 miles.

The results are on the left and averages on the right
ALUMINUM----15-|-14
CHROMIUM-----1-|-0
IRON--------44-|-48
COPPER------89-|-90
LEAD---------8-|-7
TIN----------2-|-4
MOLYBDENUM---2-|-0
NICKEL-------0-|-0
MANGANESE----3-|-2
SILVER-------0-|-0
TITANIUM-----0-|-0
POTASSIUM----0-|-1
BORON-------60-|-78
SILICON------6-|-8
SODIUM------11-|-7
CALCIUM----391-|-206
MAGNESIUM---10-|-5
PHOSPHORUS-466-|-278
ZINC--------16-|-27
BARIUM-------0-|-7

These came up short due to only a small amount of fluid sent for testing

Properties--------------Test Value|--Should be
"SUSVISCOSITY@ 210 ºF"--- Short-- |-- 42 to 51
"FLASHPOINT IN ºF" -------Short---|--- >335
"FUEL %" -------------------------|------------
"ANTIFREEZE %" -------------------|------------
"WATER %"------------------TR-----|--- "INSOLUBLES %"-------------TR-----|--- <0.1

I'm a typical driver. No hard driving, the usual grunt from home to work and the usual errands.

A MB tech told me that they too advise customers on a fluid chnage around 60K as they don't have the confidence in the LTF.

I think I would listen to the Mercedes Tech and change it out at 60,000 maybe sooner at 50,000. It may be designed to handle all the wear metals for a long time but I am old school and would not be confortable with the wear metals by 50,000. Price one of these transmissions and you will see why better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back