2004 Cummins Diesel Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father just bought a new Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, loaded, off road package with the Cummins diesel and auto tranny. I'm insanely jealous.
frown.gif

As a good son and seeing that I'll probably inherit this gem in 20 years, I would like to help keep his maintenance on track. He's usually pretty good about motor oil changes, but trannies, tranfer cases, axles and such usually get forgotten about. He's under then insane notion that he will be changing the engine oil every 2000 miles. I beleive the manual specifies 10,000 miles for an OCI.

So - is there any Cummins owners out there who could give me advise on OCIs, oil choice and drivetrain maintenance? Thanks in advance!

which kind of transmission and differential does it have?

my dad also has a dodge with a cummins, although its a 97. he changes the (manual) transmission oil every 20K miles. same goes for the dana rear end.
the oil gets changes every 3000 miles if its being used for city driving. and every 6000 miles if its being used for highway pulls.

he uses castrol syntorq or whatever it is called for the transmission, and pennzoil long life diesel oil for the engine, based on the good reviews by jelly
tongue.gif

Jelly - do you have to adjust the bands in the the new autos? How has your transmission held up to the ISB? A couple of years had some real bad tranny issues. But according to Dodge, that had been fixed.

I'm running amsoil AME 15W-40 in the engine; change filter at 5K, oil at 10k. Diffs are American Axles, and book calls for changing out fluid at 15k intervals - I follow the book on this one. I'm running amsoil TGR 75W-90 in them. I've got a 6-shooter, but would run amsoil ATF in the auto tranny too (do use it in the xfer case though).

Engine holds 3 gallons of oil.

Only 2 zerks on the 4x4's: tie rod ends. I give them a squirt at every oil filter change.

I buy the 4-2-1 filter packs online at genosgarage.com. I prefer using all Fleetguard filters too (Stratapores). The 421 gives you 4 oil filters, 2 fuel filters and one air filter. In 30k miles, you'll use them all up.

Great truck, dad's got good taste ......

I'd follow the owner's manual oil drain intervals, except one or two short mileage oil changes on the new engine to remove any break in particles and manufacturing debris.

I'd use conventional oil for the first 10,000 miles (maybe more) then, if you choose, switch to synthetic. My favorite oil if you can get it is Schaeffer's #700 synthetic blend both for the break in and for all usage. Among conventional oils, I like Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1300S, Valvoline blue. Among synthetics I like Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil 1 "Truck & SUV", Valvoline synthetic blue, and Amsoil.

Cummins makes oil filters, and they're probably the best you can buy. Cummins Fleetguard Stratapore filters are tops.

Doesn't his transmission use DaimlerChrylser's ATF+4? Stick with that with periodic ATF changes, or use Schaeffer's #204SAT or Amsoil ATF, but I feel the Schaeffer's is the equal of Amsoil at much lower cost.

Synthetic gear oil in the differential is smart...follow the oil spec in the owner's manual.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
So - is there any Cummins owners out there who could give me advise on OCIs, oil choice and drivetrain maintenance? Thanks in advance!

Nice truck!

OCI - Change every 7,500 miles and unless you live somewhere very cold, use a top-quality HDEO 15w-40...Delo, Delvac, Rotella, or Long-Life.

I personally use Long-Life simply because it's a good oil and everything else (off-highway equipment) we own is using this oil.

I'd highly recommend using a Fleetguard LF3894 oil filter and Fleetguard fuel filter as well.

Also, in everything but the engine, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND using synthetic lubricants...in the transmission, transfer case, and axles.

Also, make sure to lube the chassis.

The only problem with the previous engine, the fuel system, has now been taken care of by means of going to a common-rail system on the 3rd gen. engines.

In regards to maintenance, just follow the book, but here's a quick outline of what I do:

code:

Drain water filter sediment and water Once A Week

Change Oil Filter 7500

Rotate Tires 7500

Change Fuel Filter 15000

Inspect water pump weep 15000

Inspect brake linings and pads 22500

Change coolant 30000

Change transmission fluid and filter, adjust bands 30000

Change front and rear axle oil 45000

Check fan, fan clutch, drive belt 30000

Inspect vibration damper 30000

Change transfer case fluid 45000

[ August 17, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Thanks for all the input!

I think this weekend I'll snag the maintenance manual from him and make up a chart he can fill out. I'd like to see what the book specs for fluids too.

His truck is awesome, but if it were me the only thing I'd change it the transmission. I'd rahter have the 6 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back