2004 CRV Drive Shaft Choices

The drive shaft on the CRV rusted out at the u-joints and needs to be replace.
Here is what is available in Rack Auto,
1647214159405.jpg

@Trav recommended Raxles a year ago when I needed one - unfortunately they don't supply them for Mazdas. (Trav was great - found the parts for me online, and stepped me through the rebuilding process.)

Prevailing wisdom is that new aftermarket axles are often junk - a new one from the dealer is best, though often expensive, and a used one from a wrecker is often a good choice. I was scared to rebuild mine, but it went well.

@Trav recommended Raxles a year ago when I needed one - unfortunately they don't supply them for Mazdas. (Trav was great - found the parts for me online, and stepped me through the rebuilding process.)

Prevailing wisdom is that new aftermarket axles are often junk - a new one from the dealer is best, though often expensive, and a used one from a wrecker is often a good choice. I was scared to rebuild mine, but it went well.
I had the same thought but wasnt sure how true it would be for a driveshaft.. or how much the OP wants to spend on a 2004

The drive shaft on the CRV rusted out at the u-joints and needs to be replace.
Here is what is available in Rack Auto,
View attachment 92598
Here is what seems to be a nice clean one from CA, it is a little dirty which is fine as you what you see is what you get (it hasn't been all dolled up, painted etc), make sure it fits and contact the guy and see what it cost all in with shipping.
Once you have it you can inspect it and replace anything it needs. Make sure you tell him that if he splits it to ship to match mark it.

Edit: If it needs joints or center bearing a drive shaft shop can check the balance for short money if it causes any vibration.

@LazyDog - Oh, I'm pretty dumb sometimes - I was thinking of a front CV axle ("driveshaft" in Mazda-speak).

You're talking about a north-south longitudinal driveshaft, from the tranny or transfer case to the back, correct?

If so, can you remove it and take it to a driveline shop for rebuilding? I've had this done a couple of times where the U-joints are integrated - the driveline shop replaced them with serviceable U-joints with grease fittings. Much cheaper than an entire assembly from the dealer!

Aftermarket ones suck on every level, poor quality joints and bearing and more times than not well balance or true. If you thought the OE rotted out fast you aint seen nothing.

Thanks for the Ebay link, I have bought stuff from that seller directly. Rancho Cordova few years back.

The ear on the main drive shaft rusted away!

By the way, thanks for all replies/ help!

Back