2004 Crown Vic, Schaeffer S7000 5W20, 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was down half a quart when I changed it. Filter was a Purolator PureOne. The copper is curious, going up when iron and aluminium are going down after I slugged it with a ton of dirt. Was tempted to change at 5k, but went 6k because someone said this oil couldnt do it. I can tell you right now though it isnt going to be 6 or 7k miles on this run. Maybe 5k, we'll see. Ive already put 400 miles (~12 hours) or so worth of idling on this change since we got free arctic weather samples over here earlier this week.
vicoil111010.gif

Look at that low TBN, shorten that OCI. One thing I have noticed (and I dont want to make a big generalization) Blackstone labs will call a TBN like that low, then other times they will recommend you go farther. You aren't the first one Ive seen this happen to. All in all it was a good UOA but I would use something different a couple of times just to see. Maybe M1 AFE 0w30?? Or PP, PU with a higher TBN. Especially with the winter gas showing up.

I'm just not comfortable with a 6 cSt oil. I realize it's within the specified range (5.6-9.29cSt) but I think something is thinning that oil. Excessive idle,, but no fuel dilution?

I'd change brands or viscosity and see what happens while the temps are still low out there.

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
Change the oil and go ~4k oci.
These Fords are usually good with oil but really I would not worry.

Oh! I forgot to put it was changed when this sample was taken. So it has (had) new S7000 along with a new PureOne in it currently.
As far as Visc, I believe it is fuel. Look at the Flash of the previous run compared to this one. Over 1cSt thicker as well. I generally avoid idling, the run shown on this report probably had just a couple hours total, at most. Its from my work commute. Not long enough. Even during the summer Ill roll in and shut it off at about 160F. In the winter Im lucky if the Automatic climate control goes full blower (around 130F) before I shut it off.

Don't listen to some of these folks. That TBN for a shaeffer's oil is more than adequate. You can keep up the 6k OCI easily with this oil.

My 96 Merc GM had 10-12K OCIs for the life of the engine.(218K while I owned it) These 4.6 engines are durable. I don't know where the copper is coming from, but it's not the bearings. If it were your engine would have long since gone by by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back