2004 Camry-Solara 2.4, 47,000 miles. Recommended oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Recently came across a 2004 Camry Solara 2.4 manual, with 47,000 miles. Car was a 1 owner before I bought it, with conventional oil change receipts every 3-4,000 miles.

What oil do you recommend? I'd like to switch over to synthetic and am used to Mobil 1. Car should be driven about 5-6,000 miles per year.

As an aside, you can reach the drain plug and filter without jacking up the car. pretty nice

Check for leaks first and make sure everything is dry.

I'd just use Mobil 1 HM 5w30 and change it once a year.

It is from what I can see. No leaks in the engine compartment, and nothing leaking underneath the car.

That's what I was thinking also, although not sure whether to go HM or not

Originally Posted by Imp4
Toyota originally spec'd 5w-30 for these.
Later, they back spec'd 5w-20 and 0w-20.

You (almost) can't screw this up.

With that being said, I wonder which grade gives the best wear resistance and which grade the motor runs best on?

Originally Posted by PimTac
You should be able to run any 5w30 major brand of synthetic in that motor.

Seriously. Just pick your favorite brand or pick the bottle design you prefer.

Anything will work in these.

Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang
Hey Guys,

Recently came across a 2004 Camry Solara 2.4 manual, with 47,000 miles. Car was a 1 owner before I bought it, with conventional oil change receipts every 3-4,000 miles.

What oil do you recommend? I'd like to switch over to synthetic and am used to Mobil 1. Car should be driven about 5-6,000 miles per year.

As an aside, you can reach the drain plug and filter without jacking up the car. pretty nice

Maxlife blend 5w30 or ST 10W30HM. The 10w30 STHM is working well for my oil consuming Camry. It's a 09' and I'm out of the mileage for the ring recall

I like Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic 5w30 in this Solara. It is dexos1 Gen2 approved for higher performance standards. Walmart, cheap in 5 quart jugs.
Fram Ultra oil filter recommended for best filtering.

You literally can't go wrong on any passenger car made since 2000 easy, probably much longer, by using any SN/SN+ 5W30. It was either designed for it, or it certainly won't hurt it. Plus, IMHO, any car that's over 10 years or 100k probably has enough other things going on that you won't notice any (miniscule) fuel economy hit anyways. Considering things as heavy duty as 400HP diesels come with 30wt from the factory.... it's nearly a no-brainer.

Anything syn or conventional should work fine. If you can get HM for the same price that's a plus. M1 or ST conventional probably makes little difference. Something else will get the car before the engine craps out.

I switched my Corolla over to Full Synthetic at 60,000 miles with out a hitch. You should have zero issues. With conventional oil my OCI was 3 to 4K miles. With Synthetic its been 5K to 7156 miles.

We have a 2004 Toyota Camry Le 2.4L four cylinder with 165K+ miles on it and on every oil change we use Valvoline SynPower or Advanced Full Synthetic 10W30 and a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter on every oil change. We do not pull long OCI's like a lot of the forum members here every 3K miles or every 3 months whatever comes first and it has served us very well with a excellent running 2.4L four cylinder engine. I know someone that has the same 2004 Toyota Solara 2.4L with 180K+ miles on it. The interior/exterior will fall apart before anything happens to your 2.4L engine when doing all your general maintenance on time. I spoke to a Toyota Engineer before and he told me you can use any 5W30 or 10W30 motor oil for your year 2004 Toyota Solara depending on the climate you live in of course. I highly recommend a good quality synthetic motor oil from places likely Wally World or Walmart etc. I recommend to you to run Valvoline SynPower or Advanced 5W30 or 10W30 Full Synthetic motor oil and a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter I have had great luck with this on our 2.4L four cylinder engine and you should too.

The Solara is essentially a Camry regardless of its engine. In your case, you have the very well made "2004" 2.4L 4cyl. As I mentioned in a previous thread from Nissanfan845^^^, these engines can run for so long and so many years that, you could run just about any brand 5W30 grade of oil and be fine w/o over thinking the process. And living in warmer states such as FL or SC, 5W30 is about perfect year'round...Here's what I said:

[Quote: CharBaby]"My best buddy and my BIL both have 2004 Camry LE 2.4L, here in the RUST BELT. And both look quite decent.

Both cars have over 250,000 miles and neither have use synthetic oil, only regular(cheapest name brand 5W30 oil they can buy).

Each of these guys have been running ~6000+ mile oil change intervals(OCI) on conventional motor oil and basic filters(whatever comes with the oil/filter combo).

These 2004 Camry 4 cyls are(from several publications & stat's) rated among the most reliable vehicle ever made by Toyota. Especially the 2004 year('02-'06)."[end quote]

In addition, take care of the whole car as anyone(as BITOG'ers) should and in the right climate, the car may out last all of us!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back