2004 Acura TSX 2.4L I-VTEC GC 7000 Miles w/LC & FP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lead seems to be high. It is also high in my WRX STi UOA. I wonder if it could be the gas station? GC added at the recommend intervals. FP was added at recommended dosages Previous UOA was Mobil 1 5w30

-

[ November 12, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: 2004_STI ]

I don't understand Blackstone's comment to try 7,500 miles next time when the TBN was 3.8. It seemed that 10,000 would be fine.

What kind of gas do you use? I seem to have a similar problem with my Accord, and I use Chevron 99.9% of the time.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
I don't understand Blackstone's comment to try 7,500 miles next time when the TBN was 3.8. It seemed that 10,000 would be fine.

It could be due to the high lead. They may not want to extend the OCIs until wear is at or below normal levels.

offtopic.gif

How do you like your TSX, I like the TL pretty well but it seems a little big. Does that 2.4 have enough power for ya ? I've only driven the 03 and up Accord w/ a 2.4 5 speed.

Now back to your normally scheduled UOA.

Man,
shocked.gif
that GC thinned out!

I think it's because the LC you added
rolleyes.gif

The FP and LC combo seem to be messing up the lead/viscosity numbers.Look at the trend.

Higher lead and thinned out oil.
GC,Redline are usually thicker and your lead is above normal.

I doub't your
crushedcar.gif
either car but maybe it's too much of a "good thing"?

Alan, I have to disagree with you on this one. LC and FP won't mess with an oil's viscosity unless you use a LOT of it, say 16 oz or more of LC per drain.

That fuel percentage is quite high, causing the extra wear and the oil's lower Flash and viscosity ratings. The insolubles are low, so oil filtration isn't much of an issue. Blackstone hit the nail on the head with their comments. Find the source of your fuel dilution, and your problems are solved.

What type of air filter is in this vehicle? I would try another one, even a plain old Fram air filter. Just run GC again with a fresh air filter, resample and take things from there.

Yes, I do agree, changing gas stations may not bea bad idea.

I haven't read a UOA feedback by Blackstone that considered 0.5% fuel high or problematic.

Have you seen the VOA on LC?
It's really thin stuff,not even a 20W with a low flash point.
This GC run looks thinned out to me
dunno.gif

Alan,

We question the results of Blackstone's VOA on LC as various independent test we've had done all show flashpoint over 300F. Not sure how they came up with their number.

This was my sons report-also fuel in oil.

5000 Miles on dealer oil-supposedly Mobil??-Dont think its Mobil 1 but I'll try to find out.
Acura TSX 2.5L-200 HP, Manual. -9500 Miles (at second oil change) Honda filter.

Cu..........7
Fe..........12
Pb...........4
Cr..........0
Al..........4
Moly.........111
Ph...........1025
Zn...........1133
Mg............15
Ca............2296
Antifreeze....0
Fuel..........Pos
crushedcar.gif

H20............0
Silicon........22
Viscosity......7.74
crushedcar.gif

Sulfur.........10
Oxidation......12
Nitrogen.......10
Amazing results considering the oil is practically a 10 wt.

Your's seems fine to me

Jsharp's new 4-Runner UOA with GC show a much higher viscosity with the same amount of fuel in the oil,0.5%.The oil was run 2000+ miles more too.

I still think the LC thinned it out this sample.

Isn't true that the you didn't leave the "special" factory fill oil in the car for the recommended 5K? Could this possibly cause the high lead?

Michael

I don't think the High lead is due to NOT leaving in the break-in Oil.

I have two UOA's, Two Different Cars, Two different Oils both with high lead. The only common bond is my local gas station. I have since switched and will see what happens on the next UOA.

The previous oil was Mobil 1 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back