2003 Toyota Camry, Alaska Temps, What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More importantly to the OP, if you are driving to AK from TX in the winter, get some good winter tires as the mountain ranges along the way can be quite treacherous.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Isn't TGMO the lightest on the market?

In terms of cold pumping at -40 degrees, M1 AFE 0W-20 has a MRV spec' of 9,200cP which is about the lowest of any 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Toyota Genuine 0w20 would he your go to oil. I hope your using a pan heater.

+1 no reason to use anything else (besides another good 0w-20 with good cold properties - M1?). And a block/pan/battery heater for -60F.

Toyota Genuine 0w20 would he your go to oil. I hope your using a pan heater.

I believe M1 0-20 has a lower PP at extreme temps.

From Texas to Alaska?!? That is just about as extreme of a climate change as you can get! I would say get yourself a good low pour point oil like Amsoil ASM 0w20 or Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and run it year round. I guess it will just depend on what you can find locally.

My suggestion would be to stay in Texas though......I hate the cold and Alaska in the winter sounds like the setting for my worst nightmare....

LOL

Some of these comments are pure entertainment...death fog, draining oil and pouring it back in...while its cold enough outside to freeze unprotected skin in a couple of minutes with the windchill and it does feel strange on your lungs (people jog in it all the time), if you dress right its not so bad....although I wouldn't be under my car draining the oil out LOL...handling anything metal without thick mitts and it burns your skin quick.

I have experienced -40C/40F plenty of times. Lowest cold start I can remember was -46C/-50F, all I had was a block heater. Sure the car made some strange noises and didn't drive smooth right away but after a bit everything was fairly normal. Of course the weather only snapped like that for a couple of days at a time before returning to seasonal in my region.

These are a given: Run the 0w20 TGMO/M1, make sure your coolant is freeze protected as low as you can go, make sure you have a block heater, make sure your car is running 100%...then do whatever the locals tell you to do. They live there, they know the tips and tricks for day to day living in that weather.

Here's a fun party trick at -35C/-31F and colder....boil some water in a cup in the microwave...go outside with it still boiling and throw it up in the air....instant snow..its pretty cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: 98LS-WON
I'm installing a block/pan/battery heater this weekend.

Co-worker used to live in Anchorage and he had the trifecta of oil, coolant hose, and battery heater. This went to a four-way underhood power strip so there was only one wire dangling through the grill.
lol.gif

Report back how you like it; I've read that you get a wierd fog over road surfaces at about -35 that never goes away.
27.gif

Huh? I've never seen that and -40 is quite common here

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
LOL

Some of these comments are pure entertainment...death fog, draining oil and pouring it back in...while its cold enough outside to freeze unprotected skin in a couple of minutes with the windchill and it does feel strange on your lungs (people jog in it all the time), if you dress right its not so bad....although I wouldn't be under my car draining the oil out LOL...handling anything metal without thick mitts and it burns your skin quick.

I have experienced -40C/40F plenty of times. Lowest cold start I can remember was -46C/-50F, all I had was a block heater. Sure the car made some strange noises and didn't drive smooth right away but after a bit everything was fairly normal. Of course the weather only snapped like that for a couple of days at a time before returning to seasonal in my region.

These are a given: Run the 0w20 TGMO/M1, make sure your coolant is freeze protected as low as you can go, make sure you have a block heater, make sure your car is running 100%...then do whatever the locals tell you to do. They live there, they know the tips and tricks for day to day living in that weather.

Here's a fun party trick at -35C/-31F and colder....boil some water in a cup in the microwave...go outside with it still boiling and throw it up in the air....instant snow..its pretty cool.

Hehehe. We hang it out in that weather and its frozen before it hits the ground

Friend of mine with a 1998 Altima lived in Alaska (Cooper Landing) for a few years. Came back to Texas with a bit over 300,000 miles on it with nothing but pyb 10W30 since brand new. Car still runs flawlessly.

0WXX for sure. Your plug in heater is a good idea even so.

Other fluids will benefit from synthetic, which will flow better in the Arctic.

without question you'll need a 0w20 synthetic. you'll need to plug the car in...both battery drip and dipstick heater. most importantly, stick a straight shot of dexcool into the radiator. 50/50 blend won't git er done.

That's wrong on many counts. A 0w-20 isn't "needed," ever. Dipstick heaters might be nice to have, but not needed, either. A straight shot of Dexcool would also be a disaster. Coolant that isn't mixed with water will gel, or worse. Never go stronger than a 70:30 mix of coolant to water.

To all: never, ever run an ethylene glycol type antifreeze straight in your vehicle without having at least 30% water in it.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
without question you'll need a 0w20 synthetic. you'll need to plug the car in...both battery drip and dipstick heater. most importantly, stick a straight shot of dexcool into the radiator. 50/50 blend won't git er done.

This is the worst advice I've ever read. You cannot run antifreeze straight. The boiling point is far too low. As far as a dipstick heater its not required either.

Listen. Garak and I live with these cold temps for 4 months per year. A 0w is nice but not a must have although I would recommend it.
A recirculating block heater is all you need. The car will start no problem as long as its plugged in.
Memphis,stick with giving warm weather advice because your cold weather advice ain't gettin er done

The recirculating heaters are far better than factory block heaters. They do require a bit of DIY capabilities, but, realistically, less than if one had no block heater and were trying to do that instead. I would probably have some difficulty finding room on the G, but on the old F-150, I could probably run five of them in series.
wink.gif

Clevy, I think we just found out why antifreeze jugs are moving to 50/50 more and more. If they sell it straight, someone's going to be silly enough to use it straight, and then blame Prestone or Zerex for their own folly.

70/30 will give you your best freeze protection. I don't even go that high and we drop below -40. I stick around 60/40. And it's good that you pointed out the boiling point, too; I forgot all about that.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Memphis,stick with giving warm weather advice because your cold weather advice ain't gettin er done

I don't think it's bad advice to recommend a pan heater. Plenty of people use them to supplement the block heater.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I don't think it's bad advice to recommend a pan heater. Plenty of people use them to supplement the block heater.

I apologize but I was referring to 3putter's post,not yours. I saw his home as Memphis and accidentally wrote that instead of his name.

Fairbanksan here. Block plug, oil pan heater (75 watt will do) battery pad or blanket or trickle charger. I recommend a transmission heater also, -47F my transmission temp was 56F. Get a timer for your plugins. Even when it is the coldest 3 hours will be enough to get you going. Oil I have used 5W20 or 30 0W30 in a variety of vehicles no issues to report. I will use Mobil1 or PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back