2003 Toyota Camry, Alaska Temps, What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always ran Mobil 1 5w-30 in my Camry, but I'll be moving to AK this winter. Will 0w-30 be better in the occassional -60* F temp we'll get in Fairbanks. The owners manual doesn't spcifically recommend it, it only shows 5w-30. Thanks.

Can I put 0w20 in my 05 Matrix? The 06+ were back spec'd last time I checked and those cars seem identical to mine.

Thanks for the quick replies. I had no idea that 0w-20 was back spec'd to the 2003 models. I'm installing a block/pan/battery heater this weekend and still undecided on the autostart.

According to the TGMO Toyota chart, the 2003 Camry is back specced to 2002 for the L4 and 2000 for the V6 for the 0W-20.

The Matrix is back specced to 2003 for the 1.6/1.8L with 0W-20.

Last edited:
5W30, 5W20 or even 0W30 shouldn't matter much (comparatively speaking) so long as you have (and plug it in) engine block heater and a battery heater blanket wrap.

A warm engine water jacket will lead to faster cranking and starting up in the midst of winter, regardless of oil weight used. In turn: faster warm up will have less oil dilution due to fuel wash down the cylinder wall during winter cold starts, your oil will last a bit longer and so should your engine.

Both your alternator and your battery will thank you for that.

Q.

Originally Posted By: 98LS-WON
I'm installing a block/pan/battery heater this weekend.

Co-worker used to live in Anchorage and he had the trifecta of oil, coolant hose, and battery heater. This went to a four-way underhood power strip so there was only one wire dangling through the grill.
lol.gif

Report back how you like it; I've read that you get a wierd fog over road surfaces at about -35 that never goes away.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Quest
5W30, 5W20 or even 0W30 shouldn't matter much (comparatively speaking)

Those three grades are all unnecessarily heavy and there is absolutely no reason not to use the specified 0W-20 grade considering all formulators now offer it; it's universally available.

For a -60 morning, I'd use 0w-20 for sure!

Isn't TGMO the lightest on the market?

I always say I want a block heater for NY winters. I think -60 definitely has a greater need!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm installing a block/pan/battery heater this weekend.

Co-worker used to live in Anchorage and he had the trifecta of oil, coolant hose, and battery heater. This went to a four-way underhood power strip so there was only one wire dangling through the grill.
lol.gif

Report back how you like it; I've read that you get a wierd fog over road surfaces at about -35 that never goes away.
27.gif

Death fog!

We've had that a few times in CNY. I'm not sure if it's just a wives tale / urban legend, but apparently if you breathe the fog it will kill you. It somehow crystallizes ice in your lungs.

Also you should change your coolant to handle those temps...
I would ask a few locals what else to do to your car, or not to do. Battery blanket maybe?
My coldest start is only like -35C/F and it didn't sound good!That had wheel bearings groaning once we got going to.

I've read that heavy equipment guys in climates like that will take the battery and the motor oil out at the end of the day, and then reinstall in the morning so they are at room temperature to start with!

0w30 flows at a lower temp that 5w.. The 30 second number is the viscotity when the motor is warmed up.. 0w30 or ow20 would be fine

I had a -40 start 3 or 4 years ago at my parents house.

I remember it took about 5 tries to get the starter to engage. Then the engine just barely cranked over.

It *did* fire! The PS pump was whining really bad, none of the gauges worked (until it was warm inside). The brake pedal even felt funny once I got going and had to stop.

The car had to idle for about 10 minutes before it would move. Apparently the transmission fluid was so thick it wouldn't pump. I put the car in drive and the engine labored when I pushed the gas, but it wasn't going to move.

Door latch was gummed up and the door wouldn't latch.

It was so cold the transmission fluid never came up to temperature enough to lock the converter for my 20 mile drive to work! The temperature gauge just started to move up the needle by the time I got to work.

It was -25 in the city, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I think most 0w oils flow down to 60 below ?

Yes if you consider flowing like molasses as actually flowing, which I don't and the oil certainly won't pump at that temperature.
Even using a 0W-20 oil it's still advisable to use a block heater/pan heater at temp's approaching -40 degrees.

I'm installing a block/pan/battery heater this weekend and still undecided on the autostart.

I personally prefer the permanent mount type battery charges (designed for such weather and conditions) over battery blankets. They're priced similarly anyhow, and are a "cleaner" install, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back