2003 Suburban Belt Tensioner Pulley

I want to replace my belt tensioner pully on my 2003 5.3 Suburban 1500.
When I took it off to change water pump, I noticed the bearing sounds dry and I do have a squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment, so maybe this is the problem.
I wanted to use OE, but noticed the OE Delco only has a 2 bolt mounting, whereas the one I have is a 3 bolt (same as Delco Professional)
Anyone know anything about the difference, why there is a difference and which is the better part for the application?

We needs pics to better assess. Rock Auto catalog shows two different types:

Gates 38158:
38158-2_FRO_A__ra_p.jpg

Gates 38159:
38159-2_FRO_A__ra_p.jpg

LS motors use two serpentine belts. One belt, with the 2-bolt tensioner, runs the A/C compressor. It sits closer to the timing cover on the balancer.

The other belt uses the 3-bolt tensioner and is the main serpentine/accessory drive. Sits closest to the radiator/farthest out on the balancer.

LS motors use two serpentine belts. One belt, with the 2-bolt tensioner, runs the A/C compressor. It sits closer to the timing cover on the balancer.

The other belt uses the 3-bolt tensioner and is the main serpentine/accessory drive. Sits closest to the radiator/farthest out on the balancer.
When I did the water pump on my Silverado I changed both tensioners and the idler as well as both belts. Wasn't going to do that job and put old parts back on.

They are two different tensioners you have on the engine. One isn’t better than the other, they do different things. Just get the 3 bolt one (as you say that is the one is bad).

12580162 three bolt tensioner was superseded by a two bolt tensioner part# 12609719.
Thanks, I am a little confused about why 2 mounting points would be better than 3. Were there problems with the 3 bolt tensioners? I have 200k miles on my 3 bolt.

Thanks, I am a little confused about why 2 mounting points would be better than 3. Were there problems with the 3 bolt tensioners? I have 200k miles on my 3 bolt.

Truck versions of the LS engine were the only ones to use 3 bolt tensioners, The "Car" versions have always used a 2 bolt design. I'm sure it come down to money.

I haven't had/seen any issues with 2 bolt tensioners.

Back