Boron 0 3

Manganese 46 1

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity@100ºC 12.74 12.07

Water 0 0

Insoluables
Glycol No No

Fuel Dilution No No

Once again, another stellar XD3 report! This UOA just confirms what I already knew, the van has a leaking intake gasket.
frown.gif
I noticed a few drips of coolant while doing the last oil change. Thankfully this one appears to be mostly an external leak. This is the third leaking intake this year for my fleet of 5 Montanas. I'm not upset though, these vans sell dirt cheap used and I've never had one leak a second time. Frankly I'm surprised this one made it to 300k km before the problem showed up. Other than this known issue, I've had good luck with Montanas. I have one with 560,000km on the original engine and trans.

On another note, I totally love these Amsoil TS foam air filters...10ppm silicon in 40,000km!!!
shocked.gif
Since I have 5 of these vans, I keep an extra filter on hand so it's cleaned and ready to swap in, it's really no extra hassle over using disposable filters.

Olympic,

Where did you get your UOA done?

I used metrotech in Calgary, but they test only for Glycol...not potassium/sodium, which I understand is needed to find a dexcool leak.

I'd be playing with the idea of getting another 1% more fuel economy out of the vans, but I don't know of a cheap 0w20 HDEO you cold use to dilute the XD3. Maybe if you can get some Mobil 1 0w20 on clearance one day it could be done. This XD3 really maintains its viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
Olympic,

Where did you get your UOA done?

I used metrotech in Calgary, but they test only for Glycol...not potassium/sodium, which I understand is needed to find a dexcool leak.

I use Metrotech as well. My UOA's always included sodium but not potassium. Just write on the sample slip in the "additional tests required" section to test for potassium and they will do it, no charge. Dexcool contains very little sodium so you are correct, potassium is usually the indicator of a coolant leak.

oilyriser,
20wt oils have crossed my mind but XD3 is such a bargain that it's hard to pass up. I wish it was a little on the thinner side but the results it produces are hard to argue with. I'm happy with the MPG of these vans averaging in the high 20's. I spent $90k on fuel last year so 1% better fuel economy would save me $900/year, but I'd spend a few hundred $ more buying more expensive 20wt oil so I'm not convinced it would be worth it at this point.

Someone should talk to the chemists at Imperial Oil and tell them there's a market for a 0w20 that can go as long as their XD3. It would probably be even cheaper to produce, since it would need no VII's at all.

Are you able to see some of the metal in these engins, to check for varnish buildup? My dad's 626 has developed some varnish and traces of sludge after two back to back OCI's of 9000 and 10,000 km with Pennzoil. I'm going back to 7500, which had been keeping the engine clean on that same brand of oil. The engine runs at 98C, so maybe it oxidizes really quickly. My Subaru has a 78C thermostat.

I can't see much through the oil fill hole, I'm half tempted to pull a valve cover off just to see what's really happening in there. But the little of the head and valvetrain I can see is clean. There is some type of carbon buildup on the inside of the valvecover, likely from PCV gasses gathering in areas where there is no oil flow to wash them away.

I have an 01 Montana nearing 600,000km that I'll be retiring in a couple months. It's had 40,000km OCI's for over half it's life. Mabe before I sell it I'll pull the front cover off and snap some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back