2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6L 32V 4.5K MC 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing unusual showed up in the first sample from your Aviator. Universal averages for the type are based on an oil run of ~4,200 miles. This oil was in use longer than that and wear matched up nicely. 5,000-5,500 miles shouldn't be too many to run the next oil. The trace of fuel is hardly a
problem and is likely due to city driving/idling. No coolant or moisture was found. Both silicon and insolubles read normally showing good air and oil filtration. At 37,500 miles we think you have a nice 4.6L under the hood of your Lincoln. Check back to monitor.

Code:

MC 5w20 4.5k Univ.

ALUMINUM 2 2

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 14 14

COPPER 10 24

LEAD 2 1

TIN 2 0

MOLYBDENUM 38 52

NICKEL 1 0

MANGANESE 2 2

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 1

BORON 151 79

SILICON 19 17

SODIUM 15 22

CALCIUM 3036 2498

MAGNESIUM 11 18

PHOSPHORUS 669 658

ZINC 758 793

BARIUM 2 3

SUS 49.6

FLASHPOINT 365

INSOLUBLES 0.3

This car is used my my wife 95% of the time. It's used strictly around town type driving. Oil was in use for roughly 5 months, so there was some winter driving involved.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm wondering why such a low flashpoint in modern motor. Maybe now I know where the 12mpg is going.

Might consider having Terry take a look at this, looks like fuel dilution to me, but I am definitely NOT an expert. Terry is great and his premium service is well worth it in my opinion. If not you might condider a full synthetic, which will resist fuel damage better than a blend if you want to lengthen your oci to 5000, I have read that Penzoil Platinum is a good choice at a reasonable price. If it were my $50000 vehicle I would shell out the extra $30 and try Terry's Premium Service, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Quote:

Is there something wrong with this uoa?

Viscosity and flashpoint are low indicating possible fuel dilution issues. Blackstone sometimes misses fuel dilution, generally you want to see flashpoint at 400 or so and when it gets close to 350 and you try for extended drains you may get into trouble. That is my understanding. The experts here can give you their opinion, or you can check with Terry, he knows his stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

Oil change monitor was at 14% and the time of the change. This truck has always gotten 5k changes (MC 5w20) except for the 1st fill where I changed at 3k.

I'll specualte that this is MC full synthetic. Some of your numbers (especially calcium) are noticeably higher than the normal MC syn-blend. Iron, copper, silicon and sodium numbers are slightly elevated -- flashpoint slightly down. I would probably move up to a 5W-30 - then sample again. You may see an overall improvement.

Quote:

I'll specualte that this is MC full synthetic

Nope this is the MC 5w20 blend purchased at Walmart. I also thought the calcium was very high for a blend. Not sure what to make of it.

Quote:

Iron, copper, silicon and sodium numbers are slightly elevated

This is the 4 valve DOHC verision of the 4.6L, the numbers seem to be on par or better than universal averages. As far as the flash point, this truck doesn't see much highway miles and most trips are less than 5 miles. I drained the oil warm since the filter (FL-820S) is located in a tight spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back