2003 Lexus ES300 Battery change. Range, compass and Radio now different

Hi everyone,
My mom lives about 8 hours from me and I told her I'd try to help her out.
She just got a new battery in her 2003 Lexus ES300.

Afterwards her fuel mileage range, and Compass are no longer correct. And her radio works, but doesn't seem to light up.
I'm sure her "range" and "Compass" need to be recalibrated. But unsure about the radio.

Just curious, but if the battery shop didn't put in the proper size battery, could this cause these issues?
Shes owned it since new. And has had batteries replaced before. This is the first time these things have changed from a battery change. According to her.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,
My mom lives about 8 hours from me and I told her I'd try to help her out.
She just got a new battery in her 2003 Lexus ES300.
Afterwards her fuel mileage range, and Compass are no longer correct. And her radio works, but doesn't seem to light up.
I'm sure her "range" and "Compass" need to be recalibrated. But unsure about the radio.
Just curious, but if the battery shop didn't put in the proper size battery, could this cause these issues?
Shes owned it since new. And has had batteries replaced before. This is the first time these things have changed from a battery change. According to her. Thanks.
In all these new cars one has to maintain power to the system when changing batteries, if not a lot of functions must be re-started or re-calibrated.

The owners manual will be you best option of how to reset radios stations, window up/down and ? Service writer should have told her this and maybe even reset some items. Ed

The battery size (assuming both are 12v lead acid) should make no difference. If the battery starts the car, it will operate the compass & associated electronics.

The battery size (assuming both are 12v lead acid) should make no difference. If the battery starts the car, it will operate the compass & associated electronics.

Exactly.

I've changed in/out batteries in this vehicle at least once and disconnected the batteries several (many) times. Never experienced this. Correct battery is 24F btw.

I know the mpg function has a way to adjust it; never had to do it or felt the need. There is a way to step it +/- 10% IIRC from the manual. I have noted the compass to be erratic at most times - compared to the ones I have had/seen/used in other cars that are pretty (surprisingly) spot-on. This one is not Daddy's little blue-ribbon girl by any stretch. The manual is available online and if you ask on their corporate website, lexus will even mail you a reprint, or at least used to.

Not heard of that radio light issue before, sure it wasn't pre-existing? It may be that they grounded something or sent a surge in the system; have you checked fuses? If no good answer here, ask at the 4es sub-forum at ClubLexus, or contemporary Toyota forum sub-forum for Camry/Avalon. Should be very similar. I've spent a lot of years at both and this rings no bells as a common occurrence.

Battery should make no difference to any of these things except for perhaps re-recalibrating the auto up/down window switch and auto moonroof open and close feature. This may not even be the case on a Toyota/ Lexus product.

I may be wrong, but perhaps someone connected jumper cables incorrectly and crossed them when the previous battery was installed. Weird things can happen if that’s the case.

Back