2003 Infiniti FX35, Chevron Supreme 10W-30, 3328 Miles on Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results for the second UOA on my 2003 FX35. This sample is from the fourth oil change with 13730 miles on the vehicle and 3328 miles on the oil. The results from the first UOA can be found here.

Car: 2003 Infiniti FX35
Engine: Nissan VQ35DE

Oil: Chevron Supereme 10W-30
Oil Filter: OEM Nissan
Oil Capacity: 5 Quarts
Air Filter: OEM Nissan

Total Miles on Engine: 13730 Miles
Total Miles on Oil: 3328 Miles
Make up Oil: None

Sample Date: June 26, 2004

Lab: Blackstone

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 0
Iron: 6
Copper: 7
Lead: 2
Tin: 2
Molybdenum: 53
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 68
Silicon: 8
Sodium: 5
Calcium: 1994
Magnesium: 5
Phosphorus: 758
Zinc: 905
Barium: 0

SUS: 57.6
Flashpoint: 385
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insolubles: 0.1

I would appreciate any feedback on the results. Previous UOA can be found here. Thanks! - KC

Your results are good. The insoluables are extremely low. Chevron is one of the best dino oils on the market. The UOAs of this oil are consistently good. Is the Chevron synthetic any good?

[ July 17, 2004, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: SSDude ]

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

Is the Chevron synthetic any good?

From what I've seen it and the Pennzoil groupIII does not have great TBN retention . The Chevron Synthetic analysis here had nice , low wear rates though but not good enough for me to switch to it if I were a Chevron dino user .JMO

This oil held tough finishing @ 9.5 cSt's . This is an engine I would not want to mess with using a 5w-20 oil in . 7.2cSt dino oils " key words " are a scary thing with the foot to the floor
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
Whats the difference between Chevron Supreme & Havoline??? Some people say they are the same oil...others say they are different. Does anybody know? THANKS
cool.gif

I've seen the spec sheets for both, and they are identical.

If this were my report I would certainly be pleased with it. While it may be tempting, especially if you hang around this board much, to think, "But maybe if I tried..." As long as you don't mind abbreviated OCIs (compared to syn) I wouldn't change a thing...except to maybe push each change out another 500 mi until you get to the ideal cost benefit-to-engine risk point.

Ever so slightly elevated tin and copper are a sign of bronze wear ... probably in the valvetrain.

But with an engine with less than 15,000 miles, they might be still breaking in some.
dunno.gif

Very nice report. As others have said, I wouldn't change a thing. Trending is definitely going in the right direction compared to your first report using Mobil Drive Clean.
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

Whats the difference between Chevron Supreme & Havoline??? Some people say they are the same oil...others say they are different. Does anybody know? THANKS
cool.gif

This is a really great with the exception of the tin. With these low of lead its probably not a problem though and don't really be concerned about my comment on it. This is a really good report on an engine that frequently gives high iron and especially lead numbers. Great report. Stay with this oil
smile.gif

Thank you all for the positive comments! I appreciate all of the responses! I plan to next have the oil analyzed after the sixth oil change. I will post back with the results then. Thanks again - KC

KSTAR: In your report, you mention using an OEM Nissan Oil Filter. Do you also have the tiny, tiny sized filter on your VQ? I just got a G35, which has the same basic engine, but crammed into a much smaller engine room. I'm wondering if the FX uses a larger filter, and if so, whether I can sneak it into my installation. The stock G35 filter is scary small.

ekpolk –

The stock FX35 Oil Filter is the same as the “tiny sized” one that the G35 uses, part number 15208 65F00. I choose not to run that particular filter in my vehicle after the second oil change. Instead I use a larger OEM Nissan filter, part number 15208 9E000. I believe that this filter should fit the G35 as well. - KC

Another great Chevron Supream oil report and Nissan. I am almost tempted to start going back to the 3-4K OCI with the Chevron Supream 10/30 for $1 qt at Costco.I just wonder why we strive for the 1 year OCI with the synthetics when we get this kind of treatment by a good oil.Perhaps if the oil report changes then I may go to the M1 RL mix or AMSOIL or GC.But its almost silly to change before.
confused.gif

Nice report! I wouldn't change a thing except for possibly trying to get the OCI up closer to 5,000 miles. The Infiniti service schedule are probably like Nissan's, 3750 and 7500 miles, so I shoot for somewhere inbetween and a 5,000 mile interval just makes things easier for me to remember.

I've been using Chevron Supreme in my wife's 2003 Pathfinder with the same engine (though in 5w-30 vis) so seeing this report gives me a warm and fuzzy
cheers.gif
. I'm also using the 9E000 filter equiv (settled in on Purolator Premium Plus). I just changed the oil in the Pathfinder yesterday and used the last 5 qts. of Chevron Supreme. Will most likely switch over to Havoline or possibly Motorcraft since Chevron Supreme is non-existent around here.

BTW..MarkC, I don't believe ChevSup and Havoline are identical . Darn close but not identical. Havoline uses a bit more Magnesium
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
...I don't believe ChevSup and Havoline are identical. ... Havoline uses a bit more Magnesium.

According to what verifiable source?

I'm only going by what I've seen here in UOA (some of which have been my own since I've been using both Chevron Sup and Havoline) and VOA.

Here are VOA links to both Chevron Sup and Havoline in 10w-30;

Chevron http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000121#000012

Havoline
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000168#000000

Both reported by Blackstone Labs.

Not all the ingredients are in exactly the samequantities which could mean a margin of error, tolerance if you will, that could put the Magnesium level of Chevron more in line with Havoline. But I personally am inclined to think that 4ppm of Mag equals no magnesium. If it were 24 for Havoline and 15 for Chevron, I'd say that was within the labs margin of error and they could be more likely be considered the same.

Not sure what's up with the difference in flash point? That is significant!

Some labs have trouble distinguishing Calcium from Magnesium .

This is an oil no longer made so we can start comparing the new versions now .

PS , not sure about Blackstones flash points , even in used samples .
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back