2003 I4 accord louder on mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I switched to M1 0w-20 tonight and after letting the car warm up I drive around WOT a couple times. Engine is louder and buzzier now, is any cause for concern? Oil levels were fine after the drive and no noticeable leaks.

I was using castrol 5W-20 before.

The M1 filter is one of the more restrictive filters. It sacrifices a bit of flow rate for increased filtering efficiency. That could play a part in the noise. However, many people (myself included) have noticed more engine noise when switching to Mobil 1 oil.

Next time why not go back to the OE filter and see what happens.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
The M1 filter is one of the more restrictive filters. ...

mikep, are you sure about that?
From Mobil's web site:
quote:

The synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter yield the following key benefits:

* A much more efficient filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter than conventional filter media.
* Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeySoft:

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
The M1 filter is one of the more restrictive filters. ...

mikep, are you sure about that?
From Mobil's web site:
quote:

The synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter yield the following key benefits:

* A much more efficient filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter than conventional filter media.
* Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

According to Bob's test on M1 had the most pressure drop when tested against Fram, Amsoil and K&N. Just take a look at the pressure gauges.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000513#000000

I understand Bob's test cannot be the end all of scientific studies but IMO it is a pretty good practical illustration. Stands to reason (at least for me) that the lower the micron rating and higher first pass efficiency rating filters will have to sacrifice some flow in order to achieve that amount of filtering.

Mikep

outersquare isn't running a M1 filter now but rather a filtec Honda OEM filter according to his post.

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
outersquare isn't running a M1 filter now but rather a filtec Honda OEM filter according to his post.

LOL....how the heck did I miss that?
pat.gif

Then I guess as you stated the M1 oil would be the culprit.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back