2003 Hyundai Sonata Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my alternator died this past weekend and I am going to replace it on Friday. I removed the alt today and discovered that it was the 95 amp model for my vehicle. My problem is that I am low on cash and can get the 110 amp model for my car cheaper than the 95 amp. I have looked and all the connections on both, they are exactly the same, and so are the fuses off of the alt. So would there be any harm in running the 110 amp?

Nope. They will both probably produce the same output most of the time. Alternators have [for lack of a better term] modes, they don't go at full output all the time.

As for the max output, that difference isn't significant enough to require more robust wiring.

The only harm is it robs some power of your engine, may be 1 or 2 horsepower. I would use the more power, 110 amp, even if it costs a little more

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The only harm is it robs some power of your engine, may be 1 or 2 horsepower. I would use the more power, 110 amp, even if it costs a little more

Doesn't this only apply when it's charging? Also, presumably it should charge faster so be on for less time. It should "wash" to zero net effect. Really the only difference should be based upon which alternator is more efficient or produces the most amps per HP. Am I on the wrong track here?

The power loss applies only when the battery has been run down. The alternator is then required to charge at full output.
Power = amps (110-95) X volts so 15 amps X 15 volts= 225 watts. Since one horse power = 750 watts, the the extra load when maximum output is required will be about 1/3 horse power. You will never know the difference

Last edited:
How many miles on your Sonata? I have the same alternator on my Santa Fe and I have over 170K KM (106K Miles) and it's still running strong.

The brushes/rectifier/regulator are removable on the alternator and a rebuild kit should be available for this alternator as Chrysler/Mitsubishi has been using a very similar one on the Mitsubishi 3.0 litre engines for years.

If it's low mileage you might be able to take the plastic part off the back that has the brushes and rectifier/regulator unit in it and just replace this at a cheaper cost assuming the bearings and the copper shaft the brushes ride on is in good condition.

I have a technical drawing of it that I can scan and send to you if you want...
wink.gif

I would go for the larger alternator for sure.
It only produces on demand, so don't worry about HP loss unless you also plan to have concurrent higher electrical loads.

Originally Posted By: brandontyler65
The bearings are okay but not much life in them as I live in a very dusty climate. And I just hit 116k miles
If you take the alternator out and spin it by hand and it spins freely and doesn't make a grinding sound or vibration while sitting in your other hand then the bearings are good and can be reused.

185K KM (116K Miles) isn't bad for an alternator... Although my Mitsubishi 2.6 Litre alternator went for 258K KM (161K Miles).

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: brandontyler65
The bearings are okay but not much life in them as I live in a very dusty climate. And I just hit 116k miles
If you take the alternator out and spin it by hand and it spins freely and doesn't make a grinding sound or vibration while sitting in your other hand then the bearings are good and can be reused.

185K KM (116K Miles) isn't bad for an alternator... Although my Mitsubishi 2.6 Litre alternator went for 258K KM (161K Miles).

I half agree. If it sounds bad when spun by hand then it needs to be rebuilt. But spinning it a 50 RPM by hand is not the same as spinning it a 1000 or 2000 RPM.

I agree 1000-2000 rpm is different, but chances are that if the bearings are bad it's gonna be pretty bad at low hand spinning RPM too.

Just saying, because you wanted to do it on the cheap... So you might get a couple extra years out of just replacing the brushes/regulator on the back instead of the whole alternator.

The Mitsubishi alternator in my 95 Neon was original when I sold it at 182k.

I figured, after listening to StevieC, that Hyundai's should not need anything done to them in the first 500,000 miles they are so reliable and bursting with quality.
grin2.gif

But being serious - alternators are like waterpumps in that you never know when they will expire. Could be 1000 miles or 100,000 or anytime at all. You're doing the right thing by getting the cheaper one and that it puts out a little more is just icing on the cake. Wiring is no different between the two, so rest easy. Plus you get a warranty which is better than rebuilding the one you have, unless like StevieC said, you were looking to do the job as cheap as possible by rebuilding it yourself. But I wouldn't do that.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I figured, after listening to StevieC, that Hyundai's should not need anything done to them in the first 500,000 miles they are so reliable and bursting with quality.
grin2.gif

But being serious - alternators are like waterpumps in that you never know when they will expire. Could be 1000 miles or 100,000 or anytime at all. You're doing the right thing by getting the cheaper one and that it puts out a little more is just icing on the cake. Wiring is no different between the two, so rest easy. Plus you get a warranty which is better than rebuilding the one you have, unless like StevieC said, you were looking to do the job as cheap as possible by rebuilding it yourself. But I wouldn't do that.

You're just cranky because I took a shot at your beloved GM. And for the record I never said 500K miles before needing anything or anything about "bursting quality"
48.gif

LOL ya the bearings aren't too bad but they aren't as smooth as new ones, I can feel and hear a little bit of grinding but you have to really pay attention. I am going to get the rebuilt one though cause a live in an extremely hot and dusty area and me being the lazy person I am I want to just do it once.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
grin2.gif

You're just cranky because I took a shot at your beloved GM. And for the record I never said 500K miles before needing anything or anything about "bursting quality"
48.gif

no, actually the old lady made me cranky yesterday.

You can always take it to a local rebuilder and they can check alternator and also look at bearings and brushes. They can fix what is needed. In this case I think its good to keep the work local.

no, actually the old lady made me cranky yesterday.

Do you want to talk about it?
grin2.gif

I hate when the other half gets you worked up, ruins your whole day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back