2003 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder - possible commuter beater

A 2003 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder automatic is going up for sale in my extended family. 160,000 km on the clock (100,000 miles). There are a few issues with it, such as typical rust for the age, a small leak between the body and windshield, a leaky oil pan, worn tires and a cylinder misfire MIL. I may be able to get this dirt cheap, and I am considering it for a possible commuter car. Maintenance was probably minimal on it, restricted to just oil changes, and tires and brakes as needed. Any thoughts on this?

Cylinder misfire needs to be fixed before driving for extended periods. If you don't, you'll get terrible gas mileage and you'll probably burn up the cat if you run it that way long enough. Cylinder misfires cause increased engine wear through cylinder wear and fuel dilution (of engine oil.)

I guess it depends on what is cheap and how long you want to run it. If it costs $100 and you plan to get 6 months out of it, I'd say fair deal. If it cost a thousand and you have to put a thousand in to get it driveable, then it needs to be in a decent enough condition to last you awhile to recoup the cost.

Based on what you describe it sounds like it needs a lot of work and money put in it. Tires alone are $300+.

I buy beater cars often, but I look them over carefully and try to make sure there's nothing MAJOR wrong with it that will cost big bucks or end the car's life quickly. I don't mind replacing head gaskets, fuel pumps, etc. but if a subframe, frame/suspension mounts, etc are rotted out, that tends to be a quick death sentence and it's much harder to recoup any money you've invested in it. If you have to put money in it (all used cars needs stuff), you want to be able to drive it for a while without continuing to have to dump money in it. The latter is called a money pit and you don't want that.

You would have to have a little history on the car as far as care.

Other at the age and mileage with the unknowns it could be ready for scrap.....

Some great points about the car. I haven't indicated to anyone in the family other than my wife that I might have a slight interest, so there will be no hurt feelings by saying no.

I suspect the car will be offered around $1,000. Thinking about what it needs, tires are already a big expense. No clue what the frame's condition is, but the body panels already have some rust that seems reasonable/average for its age.

But the kicker I think might just be the maintenance history. The car has been in the extended family since new, starting with one of my sister-in-law's husband's parents. When they stopped driving, they passed their car down to him. I don't know what they were like in terms of maintaining vehicles, but they struck me as diligent people. After it left them, I think is where it went downhill for the vehicles. Another car of theirs passed on to their son had a transmission die. A Hyundai Tucson of similar vintage to the Sonata, and it only had around 100,000 km (62,000 miles). They asked me when the mechanic tried a last ditch effort to save it with a fluid change if that, and the quote for transmission replacement was reasonable. The way they talked about the car made it sound like a tranny fluid change was not something they'd ever think of. The Caravan that they had, then sold to my in-laws also doesn't seem to be in the greatest shape, and makes all sorts of weird noises, and feels like it will die at any moment.

I think the answer is clear after thinking about it. Stay away from the Sonata.

I know the Canadian dollar is higher than the US, but $1,000 is just too much. Once you get it into shape, if one big thing fails, it's game over and you've lost it all. Not worth it.

So far it's not sound good to me. Maybe it's a diamond in the rough, maybe just a few repairs and it'll be great for 10 years. Without a good inspection one doesn't know.

Your sig shows 2 other vehicles. Adding a third involves ins&reg costs, plus purchase, plus all expected repairs. This goes against whatever savings you would have not driving those other vehicles. Have you run any sort of cost analysis to indicate that you would break even or be ahead? Maybe you have 2 drivers and this would be a backup vehicle, which has value above and beyond cost savings.

So far it's not sound good to me. Maybe it's a diamond in the rough, maybe just a few repairs and it'll be great for 10 years. Without a good inspection one doesn't know.

Your sig shows 2 other vehicles. Adding a third involves ins&reg costs, plus purchase, plus all expected repairs. This goes against whatever savings you would have not driving those other vehicles. Have you run any sort of cost analysis to indicate that you would break even or be ahead? Maybe you have 2 drivers and this would be a backup vehicle, which has value above and beyond cost savings.

Agreed, I am passing on this one, but a beater for commuting is something seriously in the cards. It will be a third vehicle for sure, and I recognize there will be insurance and maintenance on top. Reasons for the third car are several. We did have 3 vehicles in the house until a couple of years ago, until our van was totalled while in a park and ride lot after a vehicle lost control. I work downtown, and before COVID, went in every weekday, but have been working home since. A return to the office is in the near future. My commute used to be either a bus from a block away from home to my office, or on days I ran late or had nasty weather, took the truck to the park and ride, and bussed from there. A one ton long box crew cab isn't exactly downtown friendly, and my wife isn't even fond of driving it for errands in the suburbs. Her daily driver is the Tiguan, used for the errands she does which includes shuttling the kids to school and all their activities and friends' houses. Add to the mix a 15 year old, who's had his learners since he turned 14 (yes, that young here!), who's anxious to get his full licence and a car after he turns 16. Not going with the Sonata, we would look at a car with a manual transmission. That would also be good to teach our son how to shift.

The beater would be for me, for now, so that I don't have to ride public transit once I'm back in the office. I also wouldn't be as worried that something would happen to the vehicle if I park in a sketchy area. Down the road, when COVID finally blows over, we would look at selling the beater to my son.

Not a done deal by any means yet, as I will need to look at if I can actually get affordable parking somewhere downtown.

Back