2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 4 Cyl - Which Trans Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has a 2003 Santa Fe with 131k miles.

The Transmission fluid looks "okay". Not the original fluid, but it hasn't been changed in a while.

The issue is the transmission has been surging a bit between 2 and 3. It happens randomly ... but it isn't good.

There is no owners manual - Hyundai would Spec SP3 for this, right? I have not been able to find a SP3 fluid anywhere.

From what I read in another topic, the transmission in the 03 santa fe can be a chrylser unit? Quite frankly, that scares me a lot. If it is ... would I be able to use ATF+4?

Cliffnotes:
- Which Fluid for 03 Santa Fe 2.4
- Would I be able to suck it out with a transfer pump through the dipstick tube?

I use Maxlife atf on the 4 speed auto kia. Shifts are cleaner than sp3. You can also use +4 from what I've read, but have never tried.

I'm not sure if all of the Napa stores have this, but the Napa where I'm at has Eneos SP fluid for Hyundai and it's only $4.99 a quart. Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi dealers should carry the SPIII. I've never experimented with any of the aftermarket fluids. I've heard that ATF+4 could be used in these transmissions and may be even better than the SPIII but have never tried it myself. As for the fluid transfer pump I don't know how much of the fluid it would get out but it's sure worth a try. My Elantra has a drain plug in the transmission pan and the Santa Fe might too.

The problem is we both live in an apartment complex with rules stating no vehicle maintenance. Using a transfer pump is going to cause a lot less oil spill than removing a drain plug.

Are the additives any good? I've always been afraid to use additives in something as fragile as an automatic transmission.

I bought the fluid for my Sonata from the dealer. The fluid I got was full synthetic made in Korea by SK Lubricants. I have a manual, though, so it's a different fluid than you need.

I'd check the dealer and at least figure out the cost. You know you'll be getting the right stuff. I've become a genuine transmission fluid convert.

You could also check http://www.hyundaioemparts.com

I've ordered from them and had a good experience. I don't know if shipping would ruin the cost on fluid, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Maxlife ATF is what you need. I would also recommend the usual dosage of Lubegard Red.

I would go with Luebgard Platinum over the Red because of the additional friction modifiers these transmissions need.

I've done a lot of research recently on this same subject. I've done one drain and fill using Maxlife, and it works well, but the shifts are a lot softer, which feels nice, but isn't always a good thing.

I want to do another drain and fill. KIA/Hyundai forums say to stay with SP3 and add nothing, some say go with SP3 and Lubegard Red, some recommend Castrol Multi-Import, some ATF+4 and some people have had good results with MaxLife with an added Friction Modifier.

Right now I am leaning towards MaxLife and Lubegard Platinum, or ATF+4. I may do that this weekend, and I will update BITOG when done.

This Santa Fe will have the F4A51 4 speed AT in it. Some early ones had a top mounted spin-on ATF filter, but I believe this option was 'deleted' by 2003. You'll see it up top towards the top of the front mounted trans pan if it has the filter (kind of near the battery). Newer models don't have a filter that can be easily changed, so you basically leave it alone. If an ATF change hasn't been done on it since 2003, it may be toast, but it's worth a try. These transaxles have been around forever and were used in the Santa Fe until 2009 and many other vehicles as well. It's a great trans. Don't worry about messing with the cooler lines. Just use the drain plug and refill through the dipstick. Valvoline Maxlife ATF has proven to be a problem free SP-3 alternative. I wouldn't use any additives with it.

Joel

Rode in it the other night and EVERY 2-3 shift it was doing the shift flare.

I sucked out 3 quarts and replaced 3 quarts with a Supertech SP3 compatible.

Test drove it and brought it up to temperature and I wasn't getting the shift flare. However, I WAS getting a real harsh 2-3 shift when coasting down hills (My taurus AX4S always did this) and occasional harsh 3-2 downshift.

Time will tell. Going to let it run like this for a month or two and change again if need be.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Rode in it the other night and EVERY 2-3 shift it was doing the shift flare.

I sucked out 3 quarts and replaced 3 quarts with a Supertech SP3 compatible.

Not a bad idea doing the initial drain/fill with ST SP3. Maybe if the problem is improved, do the next d/f will Maxlife ATF.

Why suck it out through the dipstick? The drain plug on the trans makes it easier than an engine oil change.

Joel

have you tried the maxlife yet? I had a bad experience with Supertech trans fluid in the past also.

Here's a TSB on the issue.

TSB

You can try re-learning is as per the TSB, or you can do what I did for my Hyundai that was suffering the same problem... I went to the dealer and found that the transmission control module could be updated to deal with the shift flare issue. It's been trouble free since. I'm not saying that this particular model will have an update, but it's worth looking into.

It's a Chrylser transmission - defective from the factory as far as I'm concerned. Not going to bother with anything else as the rest of the car is in pretty rough shape.

The blower motor went out on it last night. And, unrelated to the blower motor, the A/C compressor is seizing. Brake lines are also more rusted than safe. I like being the "car guy" in the circle of friends haha I'm now tasked with finding a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back