2003 Honda CRV w/ amsoil dual bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, this is my first post on these forums and I just wanted to start with a thread of my personal daily driver with an amsoil bypass filter setup installed. The vehicle had 185,000km when the bypass filter was installed and oil filled with amsoil signature series 5w-20 (this same oil was ran in the vehicle from 171k to 185k also, before that is unknown, bought used from dealership).

Total cost of the bypass setup was $380 including the proper amount of oil. Sump capacity increased from 5.3 qts to a 6.5 qt total capacity. The full flow filter (left filter in image) has been greatly enlarged from the stock sized filter, roughly 4 times the size. The bypass element is pretty massive at 6 inch long and 4.5 inch diameter IIRC. If you are unfamiliar with what it is... it's a very high level filter that removes particles at an absolute rating of 2 micron (98.7% eff.), 50% eff. @ 1 micron. If you know anything about what size particles cause engine wear, this is far smaller than anything that will contribute to running engine wear. It is also known that clean oil with last longer, much longer... when you remove the contamination from the oil, you preserve more oil additive pack. Oil particles do not wear out, the oil package as a whole merely gets contaminated.

Anyways, here is some pictures of the install. I need to do a oil analysis (Blackstone) in approximately 1500km to get a oil data baseline, then again at 10,000km, then 20k, then 40k, 60k, etc... and yes, people do run vehicles for this long without draining the oil pan, only adding makeup oil that gets burned off. Also, the engine needs a bit of work, valve clearance adjustment and valve stem seals (smokes upon startup), which is burning off the oil some.

[img:left]http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/sethhu...?sort=3&o=0[/img]

[img:left]http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/sethhu...?sort=3&o=1[/img]

[img:left]http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/sethhu...?sort=3&o=2[/img]

[img:left]http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/sethhu...?sort=3&o=3[/img]

The nice thing about this setup is that when the car dies or you trade it you can take the bypass setup off the Honda and put it on its replacement for minimal expense.

My bypass setup has been on a 99 Expedition and now is on an Edge.

Welcome to BITOG! Nice set up!
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
A guy I work with has almost 400,000KM on his old CRV, and I don't think he hardly ever changes the oil.

Is this with a bypass installed?

Also, thank you guys for the warm welcome!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Many of us have seen what you can do with a bypass and frequent top offs. You might get a kick out of this thread... 41k OCI with bypass sytem but he consumes a quart almost every 4k.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399277/Amsoil_0W-30_41K_OCI_w/bypass_

Yeah, I have read that thread through and through awhile back, good stuff... has he posted up anything lately on that car?

I wonder how this oil analysis is going to look like, as I topped up the oil (1/4 quart) just the other day at 3500km with Royal Purple 5w30 by accident... as I had it in an Amsoil bottle, and I did it at night so I couldn't really see the color of the oil. I found out I did it the next day... If I can run the same oil for at least 25,000km, the filter will pay for itself in 2 years. But then you have the 'other' ROI in that the engine has reduced wear also.
wink.gif

Actually since the breakeven for the cost of the $380 plus additional oil in that vehicle is about 160,000 miles versus regular oil changes using the factory OLM or 7500 miles with 5w20 or 5w30 dino oil and a factory filter seems hardly worth the expense.

185k kilometers is about 115k miles.

Sounds like this engine has been really abused/ neglected if it's smoking and burning oil. Why did you spend almost $400 on a fancy filtering setup for an engine that isn't doing so great in the first place?

This is a nice system for a small car to increase the filter size and sump capacity. My car has a large cartridge filter and a Frantz (Toilet Paper) system was installed to clean the oil. Any bypass system really cleans up the lube oil and extends your OCI.

Nice setup. I wonder if there's a way to rig it in something that uses a cartridge type filter that's mounted on top of the engine?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
185k kilometers is about 115k miles.

Sounds like this engine has been really abused/ neglected if it's smoking and burning oil. Why did you spend almost $400 on a fancy filtering setup for an engine that isn't doing so great in the first place?

the engine is in great condition, and i want to keep it that way. Valve stem seals are small fragile parts in an engine that get worn out for an unkown reason... in fact it could be just one cylinder that it is doing it to, and probably is. $30 for 16 valve stem seals. it is a quick 'puff' of white smoke from oil getting past the seal(s) into the combustion chamber while engine not running, not really a big issue besides it consumes engine oil.

other than that, the engine is in great running condition, like new really...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice setup. I wonder if there's a way to rig it in something that uses a cartridge type filter that's mounted on top of the engine?

Kleenoil bypass filters use a special cartridge filter that you can mount anywhere. the filter cartridge is removed from the top, after removing the lid. Kleenoil filter remove all water from your oil, which is good for certain applications.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If your car has a cartridge type filter, you can use a single bypass system and put the return line in through the oil cap. It works the same with a smaller hose. The system pictured above has the FF and bypass connected with 1/2 inch hose to maintain 3-4 GPM. If you go to a single bypass system, 1/4 inch hose is sufficient.

My choice of Bypass system uses a roll of TP (but-wipe) because its $1 a roll to replace and its working out great for me. Check out the Frantz Oil Cleaner sold through independent dealers.

Picture of the mounting base & filter canister removed as an illustration.
filtoff1kc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back