2003 Honda Civic Lx Sedan Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all!

I am new to this site so please bare with me as I learn the features and navigation of this site.

Currently, I drive a 2014 Honda Civic, which is leased, and will be turned into the Honda dealer in a couple months time. I have found, and have decided to buy, a 2003 Honda Civic to replace my 2014 due to me being in college and no longer wanting payments while in school. The car has 107,000 miles on it currently, with an automatic transmission, and I have no knowledge of past maintenance done on the vehicle other than a current oil sticker in the windshield, newer battery, alternator, and we were also informed that the timing belt and water pump have already been done on it.

I would like to do an oil change and a transmission drain and fill/flush at the very least right away. I am asking for opinions on which type of motor oil I should use. I would really like to stay within Honda's specs and use 5w-20 oil, if possible. Furthermore, I am a little hesitant, although I love it, to throw synthetic oil into it for fear that conventional oil may have been used for the majority of its life. I don't want any extra detergents in the synthetic oils to cause any deposits to break loose and cause leaks or burning oil.

In the past, before my lease, I had a 2002 Saturn SL2 and it burned oil so terribly that I had to add oil 2-3 times between oil changes (which I change every 3 months/3000 miles!) I do NOT want to run into the same issue with this Civic.

I was looking at some oil the other day at Walmart and was looking at the Valvoline MaxLife High-Mileage 5w-20 oil, as well as the Castrol GTX MAGNATEC oil. The problem I found with the Castrol GTX oil, though, is that the 5w-20 is full synthetic so I would have to use 5w-30 to get the synthetic blend (I am okay with using a syn-blend or conventional). I also saw here on this site that people like the brand Havoline. I don't know much about this brand so if someone could shed some light on that for me that would be GREATLY appreciated!

As far as my commute, I would use the car for work and school and the occasional out of town endeavor. Work is 10-12 miles one way, and school is about 2 miles one way. I also live in Northern Ohio so we see pretty significant temperature and weather swings. (Last week we had a 61 degree day and currently it's 11 degrees). All advice and recommendations are GREATLY appreciated!

ALSO: As far as filters go, I am thinking of either using a WIX filter or a genuine Honda filter from the dealership.

Thank you, everyone!

Chase

First,
welcome2.gif

You are good on Timing belt and water pump, so that's great
thumbsup2.gif

Use 'any' good oil(penzzoil, shell, QS, Castrol, M1), regular or synthetic would depend on your pocket. I don't have a preference, whatever is cheapest( good oil, again).

You'll be fine with using 5W-20 or using 0W-20, otherwise stick to factory spec which calls for 5W-20. Use OEM(honda filter, pretty good one) since it's not crazy expensive. Again, filters are very personal and specific, just like cars so do whatever you like.

Have a look here too:https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4295717#Post4295717

Otherwise, enjoy your car, it's a great car.

Welcome to Bitog,

Filter Fram Ultra
Transmission Fluid Honda DW-1 Only in my opinion.
5w20 Mobil Super High Mileage is good stuff but so is a lot of the other 5w20 oils.

Does this civic burn oil? A lot of them do..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Transmission Fluid Honda DW-1 Only in my opinion.

+1000, What he said, please use ONLY DW-1 or Genuine Honda ATF and nothing else...

Watch out for cooling system, never ever drive if gauge is showing 'Hot' since many of these 7 gens Civic had HG issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Does this civic burn oil? A lot of them do..

I do not believe it does at this point, fingers crossed!

welcome2.gif

You do NOT have to use the dealer DW1! In fact, it didn't even exist in 2003. Maxlife will be fine
smile.gif

I think 10k is the Honda-specified (they weren't using the MM yet). My choice would be a top-tier synthetic, like PP (on sale now at Napa, and there is an additional $%2/qt rebate on top of that). Pick up a Napa Gold or Platinum filter while you're there. There are also high-mileage synthetics out now, available from all three major brands (Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil)

Use only Honda transmission fluid and conventional oil. Mobil makes a conventional 5w-20.

I would go to autozone and buy a bunch of 0w20 magnatec for $2 a quart.
Also I use Amsoil synthetic ate in my accord. Zero issues

Last edited:
Start with SuperTech conventional until you get a baseline OCI under your belt. If it uses a significant amount of oil, switch to MaxLife blend. Oil filter is not important - if you continue to change at 3k OCIs, I'd double stint the filter. Whatever you do, always keep it topped off w fresh oil.

Oil: Whatever dino or HM is on sale @Wally World.
ATF: Honda DW-1 is always a safe bet. Many have also had great luck with MaxLife in older Hondas.

At the mileage, do the spark plugs. Easy on that engine. NGK / Denso only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back