2003 Harley Dyna Lowrider 100th anniversery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just called me and hes about 75 miles from home on his 2003 Harley Dyna Lowrider. He stopped off to get a bite to eat and he turned off the ignition and pulled out the key and the lights started flashing and going crazy. He put the key back in and it wont start turn over or anything. He had to unhook the battery so the lights would stop flashing. Anyone had this problem before? Any Ideas? Thanks!

He said that the lights just keep flashing weather the key is on or off makes no difference and it dont click or anything when you try to start it. I would say its a bad ignition switch or a relay went out all at once. But I would like a few opinions of yours. Thanks again!

Does this bike have an alarm? If it does, does he have the FOB?
There are directions in owners manual to reset alarm without FOB.

Originally Posted By: hd2002
Does this bike have an alarm? If it does, does he have the FOB?
There are directions in owners manual to reset alarm without FOB.

We have no idea. If it does we dont have no kinda remote for it or anything or wanst told it had one. He just bought the bike about 2 months ago it has around 15,000 on it. We havent had any problems till this. Call me dumb but what does FOB mean?

FOB= finger operated button. It would be for the alarm. If it does not have an alarm, I'm not sure why it is doing this.

FOB= finger operated button. It would be for the alarm. If it does not have an alarm, I'm not sure why it is doing this.

No remote for an alarm or can we see any sign of an alarm on it.

I think it may be a faulty ignition switch. He said it hasnt felt just right the past 2 weeks when going from accesory to lights.

If you have the alarm you'll see an indicator on the speedo face. Looks like a key. Is this flashing?? Perhaps he inadvertantly set it to automatically arm. This is a way to unarm it using the turn signals but you have to know what code was set by the previous owner. That's if its the alarm causing the trouble. You can pull the 15 amp alarm fuse to see what that does.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
If you have the alarm you'll see an indicator on the speedo face. Looks like a key. Is this flashing?? Perhaps he inadvertantly set it to automatically arm. This is a way to unarm it using the turn signals but you have to know what code was set by the previous owner. That's if its the alarm causing the trouble. You can pull the 15 amp alarm fuse to see what that does.

Yes it does have this red key and it flashes when the battery is hooked up alog with the blinkers flashing.

Ok this red key on the speedo if you hook up the battery the red key comes on and the blinkers go nuts for about 30 seconds or so then everything goes off and the red key just sits there and flashes so this is definantally the problem. I just dont know how to fix it. I have a Clymer book and trying to locate the 15amp fuse for starters.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Ok this red key on the speedo if you hook up the battery the red key comes on and the blinkers go nuts for about 30 seconds or so then everything goes off and the red key just sits there and flashes so this is definantally the problem. I just dont know how to fix it. I have a Clymer book and trying to locate the 15amp fuse for starters.

Sounds like the alarm is going off for some reason. In the owners manual there is an alarm code should be written by hand by original dealer unless it has been changed. The numbers can be put in through turn the signals. Instruction to do this are also in manual. Read instructions and follow precisely or you will have to start over.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003

Sounds like the alarm is going off for some reason. In the owners manual there is an alarm code should be written by hand by original dealer unless it has been changed. The numbers can be put in through turn the signals. Instruction to do this are also in manual. Read instructions and follow precisely or you will have to start over.

Yes that is what is going on the alarm is going off but we have no way of resetting it that I know of. He has got no owners manual with the bike and I cant find anywhere that tells how to reset it In this Clymer book. He pulled the fuse and it didnt fix anything. I guess we will call Harley shop the nearest one is about 140 miles away. I really dont know what elese to do. This sucks basically a brand new bike and it wont even start. Thanks for everyones input. When we figure it out I will post back.

I have both the owners manual and the HD factory shop manual for my '07 Softail. But...even if I scanned the pages to help you reset the alarm, you would have to know what manual code (mine is 5 #'s) was input when the system was setup/activated.

Ok guys we got the problem fixed. There is a FOB on the key to this bike. We was told about this earlier in this thread but was thinking remote like a car has. I havent seen the key but my dad calls me at work today and tells me it fixed he said there is a little button on the key hes never paid attention to. He seen it on the key the day this happened and tried to push it but wouldn't go down. So I guess when he turned the bike off sunday he pushed the button in and thats when things went crazy. Well today when he gets home he got his knife out and got the button to pop up on the key because when he hit it the button stayed pushed down thats why he thought it was nothing because it wouldnt move. Well now he can arm and disarm his alarm that he never knew he had. Anywhat Thanks everyone for trying to help I feel dumb as [censored] but I guess we live and learn. Thanks again!

There is no button. The FOB transmits a very low power signal all the time out to about ten feet. When you get within ten feet of your bike with the FOB it disarms the system and your bike will start.

If you want to really have fun, get your bike started and then run back in the house for something and set the FOB down, then ride off without it. First place you stop (like at a gas station) and turn your bike off, you're SOL. Unless you know the unlock code to punch in using the turn signal buttons, you are not going to start the bike.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
There is no button. The FOB transmits a very low power signal all the time out to about ten feet. When you get within ten feet of your bike with the FOB it disarms the system and your bike will start.

If you want to really have fun, get your bike started and then run back in the house for something and set the FOB down, then ride off without it. First place you stop (like at a gas station) and turn your bike off, you're SOL. Unless you know the unlock code to punch in using the turn signal buttons, you are not going to start the bike.

On his year of bike it was a button. If I remember right it was push once to arm alarm and twice to disarm.

You are correct the newer ones don't have a button.

On his year of bike it was a button. If I remember right it was push once to arm alarm and twice to disarm.

Correct. I am surprised at G-Man...he usually knows his stuff
grin2.gif

You got it buddy this one does have the button.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Correct. I am surprised at G-Man...he usually knows his stuff
grin2.gif

I was thinking 105th anniversary 2008 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back