2003 GM Truck Decision - Gas or Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a "new" used truck recently, and have decided to focus on '99-06 GM Silverado / Sierra, based on various inputs. Right now, I have located 2 local trucks to look at this weekend. Both are extended cab 4x4, with similar trim packages. One is a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with 5.3L gas engine / automatic trans and Quadrasteer, 194K miles, asking price ~$8K. Carfax has a couple of minor fender-benders, service records showing trans rebuilt around 100K, cluster replaced (twice), a few other small items. Other is 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT with Duramax diesel / Allison trans, 219K miles, asking price ~$7K. Carfax has a couple of minor fender-benders, service records showing a few other small items.

Pros and Cons of each? I plan on using whichever truck I choose as as an occasional daily driver and general utility usage, even if the "winner" is neither of these two.

Thanks in advance.

I would take a 219k diesel over a 194k gas any day of the week.
03 DMax should be pre-def and soot trap, 2 items that can be big headaches with lightly used daily driver diesels. The Allison trans will be heavier duty as well.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I would take a 219k diesel over a 194k gas any day of the week.
03 DMax should be pre-def and soot trap, 2 items that can be big headaches with lightly used daily driver diesels. The Allison trans will be heavier duty as well.

+1

I would vote Duramax-IF you're planning on using it as a truck-hauling, towing, running decently long distances. If you're never going to haul much, and not getting it fully warmed up, then the 5.3 would be better. Although the Quadrasteer would scare me a little, that option seems kind of rare.

Stay away from quadrasteer, some wear parts no longer available. Computer expects it, so just to replace a regular axle is complicated.

Rod

3/4 ton takes more expensive tires, and diesels can be costly to repair. For light usage I'd think 5.3 gas would be cheaper to work on and repair.

That said, I think the quadrasteer would scare me, and I have to admit that the Allison is probably a better trans choice. Although 4L60's are pretty cheap. But a 3/4T with diesel would be nice if given any amount of work.

Diesel hands down. Pre-emission is a huge bonus. Dmax/Allison combo is a very drivable. Only thing, which is big is the injector issues with the first gen Dmax. Correct me if Im wrong but there were issues with the injectors and they were a huge pain to replace.

Yep, I would avoid the quadrasteer...

If i didn’t plan to use the 2500’s capability I’d focus my search on 1500 models too...

I would pick the diesel. It can easily do more work and get better fuel economy. I've also heard some critical parts for the Quadrasteer are no longer available. That could definitely lead to issues. I would want to be confident the diesel engine is in good running condtion before purchase however, a big repair on that would be huge $.

My brother recently sold his 2004 Z71 Silverado with the 5.3L and bought our dad's 2006 2500HD Duramax. He likes the Duramax truck much better and he doesn't really haul a lot of stuff or tow anything.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Stay away from quadrasteer, some wear parts no longer available. Computer expects it, so just to replace a regular axle is complicated.

Rod

This plus pre emission Duramax.
I wish I could them that cheap around here.

Of the two, the diesel. But both seem overprices, especially the 1500. If the body and interior are OK the diesel would be OK. If not, keep looking.

$8k for a 1/2 ton with almost 200k miles? Ridiculous price.

I'd skip that diesel. Usually diesels go for more money than that, sounds like it's got some issues and they're selling it for cheap.

Quadrasteer is nice
smile.gif

But I don't really know about the reliability of the system. If there are no known common problems with it, get that truck. If the Quadrasteer is problematic, then avoid it, unless you really want one.

If the Quadrasteer is reasonably reliable, get that truck. Otherwise, the diesel.

The Duramax is a maintenance night mare. The cost to replace the water pump can be over $1k. Injectors plus labor can be $8k. You can replace the water pump and spark plugs easily on the gas engine.

I agree with Chris142. A buddy of mine had two duramax trucks. An 03 and an 05. The 03 got a couple sets of injectors which is about 10 hours labor if you’re not doing it yourself and the parts aren’t cheap either. The 05 got a water pump replaced to the cost of $1200 since he was traveling when it happened and 1 set of injectors.

I would not say they were problematic engines at all just very expensive when anything did need replacement. His one recurring problem with both trucks were front hub bearing assemblies.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The Duramax is a maintenance night mare. The cost to replace the water pump can be over $1k. Injectors plus labor can be $8k. You can replace the water pump and spark plugs easily on the gas engine.

This. My friend had one of this vintage and it had these issues on an ongoing basis...if you work the truck to make you money it is worth the extra towing and hauling power...if not, it will wear you down with repairs.

I wouldn't go for the gas version with quadra-steer either noting the comments. A more simple 5.3L 1500 will do the job reliably and for many years.

Last edited:
Depends on the condition and the deal. However i would side with the gasoline model in general. My previous truck was 05 2500 6.0L and it was very good to me. Only thing it had to have was gas. These LS based V8s are the best. Sure a Dmax will get better mileage but the high cost of fuel and diesel repairs will make it cost a lot more to operate. Often a decent Dmax in this vintage will cost at least double what a gas truck will. If its a cheap Dmax its probably needing some high dollar repairs soon.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Chris142 said:
if you work the truck to make you money it is worth the extra towing and hauling power...if not, it will wear you down with repairs.

+1 It depends on the person too, a DIYer/BITOGer will probably see things coming and take preemptive action. Not running junk fuel, additives, regular/increased fuel filter changes etc. Diesel trucks and euro cars need someone who knows what they are doing.

You have to work it though, moreso than a half ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back