2003 Ford Taurus ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just added 6 oz of Auto RX to the transmission and the site states to only leave it in 1000 miles. I've change flushed the trans fluid every 30,000 miles (70800 miles currently). (I've read this is the weak link on the car) The trans feels fine over all, just living on the USAF Academy in Colorado is really hilly/mountains and seems to been harder on the car. After the 1000 miles I plan on changing to Amsoil.

So my question is...
Has anybody on BITOG had good luck using Auto RX in their trans?

Sorry I write scatter brained
06.gif

The Taurus had tranny problems from 98 and older. Yours should be fine with 30,000 mile oil changes, also filter. I have friends with 99 and newer Taurus's with tons of miles and no problems. Don't know what Auto RX is. I guess I have never needed it.

A lot of people like Auto Rx on this site, this is where I first heard of it. It seems to be good stuff for cleaning the engine. Not sure about transmissions.

Originally Posted By: beermanj

So my question is...
Has anybody on BITOG had good luck using Auto RX in their trans?

Yeah, I have. At 75,000 miles I put ARX in the Intrepid's tranny and followed up with a pan drop and a flush and fill with Valvoline ATF+4. 25,000 miles later it's still shifting like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Well worth it if you want your car to last a long time, to my way of thinking.

I plan on repeating the procedure in another 25,000 miles.

I used Auto-Rx in my Camry transmission. I used it because I had high aluminum in my ATF (Amsoil) and was going to change it anyway.

Many people have used Auto-Rx to clean sludge and crud on the ring packs from the engine. The cleaning can be verified by pulling the valve cover and/or checking compression.

So most people assume that since Auto-Rx does a good job of cleaning an engine it should do a good job of cleaning a transmission. Not sure anyone has pulled apart a transmission before and after the use of Auto-Rx,

Having said that I think its a reasonable thing to add Auto-Rx to clean your transmission before switching to Amsoil ATF. Its about $10 for the 6 oz.

I hope you are doing a flush to get the Amsoil in your transmission. Multiple drian and fills are not cost effective especially with an expensive ATF. You can do a cooler line flush yourself easily.

Consider a Magnefine filter ($20) once you go with Amsoil.

I'm definitely doing the flush for the Amsoil. Auto Rx helped my car with a compression problem with one of the cylinders I was having, so I was pleased it did that. Thanks for your input

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to look into amsoil for my tranny also. It's finally got 30,000 miles on it, but I don't know about flushing it myself for fear of running it dry? any ideas on preventing that from happening? (I know, it even sounds like a stupid question to me)

Originally Posted By: beermanj
Are you worried about you taurus losing tran fluid? I have almost 71,000 miles and I've never lost fluid.

I mean not being able to keep it full while you are pumping it out/flushing. (running it dry)

Take it to a mechanic to flush it, I don't have the resources to do it myself. I just have a hard time finding a trust worthy mechanic. Since I move so much
mad.gif

Yeah I guess I'll ask one if they'll flush it with the amsoil. Which fluid does amsoil have spec'd for our trannies? lol I don't even know what it calls for exactly, I haven't had to do anything to this car other than change the oil!

It's too bad that Frank is not around to explain more on the testing that was done to come up with the proper dose and mileage for the ATX application.
So I will tell what I know, It made a positive change in my truck at 266,000km.
I am with everybody else here in saying: drop the pan, clean it out and new filter. Then do a cooling line flush to get ALL of the old fluid out.

this should help

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_Filter_Change_Procedures.pdf

also this might too

http://auto-rx.com/auto-rxnet/index.html

EDIT

and a magnefine filter

Last edited:
You need 4' of 3/8" clear vinyl tubing and some empty gallon milk jugs or similar and pliers or screwdriver to undo the clamps. Those are the needed resources.

You can drain say 2 QTs per cycle and then add 2 QTs so you should never run dry. But some drain until they see air bubbles in the clear tubing, turn off engine and add more ATF then repeat the draining. Even if you see air bubbles its not a big deal as with the transmission in P nothing needs cooling or lubrication.

Its best to drain and refill the pan first so you will get no mixing of new and old ATF.

If you go to a shop to have a flush keep in mind:

1) Ask them to drain and fill the pan before the flush otherwise you mix old and new fluid in the pan and should flush through an extra 2-3 QTs of ATF.
2) The shop should purge the new fluid container before the flush.

You can do the best and cheapest flush yourself by draining the pan first and then doing the flush via cooler lines. Any other way will take an extra 3 QTs at least of ATF.

Thanks for the replies guys! I may try this myself,especially since I also need to flush out the radiator and this will save me some cash! Just gotta get use to working on this newer car!
LOL.gif

I've had good luck w/ ARX in the tranny. Have 1200 miles w/ ARX in my trans now(need to change soon :) Trans is shifting great. I will also be using a synthetic tranny fluid.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I've had good luck w/ ARX in the tranny. Have 1200 miles w/ ARX in my trans now(need to change soon :) Trans is shifting great. I will also be using a synthetic tranny fluid.

I went way over on the mileage when I had Auto-Rx in my transmission, closer to 2000 miles. No problem.

I highly recommend Amsoil ATF if its speced for your can.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I went way over on the mileage when I had Auto-Rx in my transmission, closer to 2000 miles. No problem.

What kind of ATF is speced for a "can"?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Donald

What kind of ATF is speced for a "can"?
grin2.gif

That would be car!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back