2003 Ford E-250, 5.4L SOHC V8, EFI - oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to hear what the experts recommend for this engine (Patman, dragboat, Molakule, etc)

It will be used as a non-commercial vehicle, driven above 0F and below 115F in the Northeast region of the US (tri-state area, NY, NJ, CT)

Ford wants me to use 5W-20, I say - "un uh. No way"

I was thinking Pennzoil dino 10W-30 or a good Group III or PAO synthetic 10W-30?

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing they would say a 5 or 10w-30 from Mobil 1. Even a 0w-40 would be good. Lets see what they say........
Built Ford Tough! Have u seen the commercial where it pulls the plane? I love that commercial.
patriot.gif

[ November 26, 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Just to get a feel before posting whats is every OTC SL Dino available up where you live?

BTW, Nice truck!

[ November 26, 2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

First of all, nice truck! Since I know you don't feel comfortable with the 5w20 in there, I'd say go for a good 10w30 if it won't get you in trouble with the warranty. Something like Schaeffer Supreme, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline. It's hard to pick just one!
grin.gif
It all depends on how much you want to spend, and what kind of intervals you're planning on doing. You honestly can't go wrong with any of those oils listed above.

Hi guys!

There's:

Mobil Drive Clean, Mobil 1
Castrol GTX, Castrol Syntec
Pennzoil PureBase, Synth w/ Pennzane
Quaker State, Quaker State Synth
Chevron Supreme,
Shell Rotella T Synth 5W-40
Wal-Mart Supertech Dino and Synth
Valvoline Dino and Synth
Motorcraft Synth Blend 5W-20, Dino 5w-30, 10W-30

weights are 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 (for some of them) and 5W-40 for the Shell.

The most expensive would be M1 at $4.77/qt (no 5-qt jugs for sale period, and the 6 qt cases are sold at $4.77/qt) which is the lowest price in the area!!
spaz.gif

I would plan on changing the oil around every 3 months (just about 3000 miles) - is this too soon? The driving is split: 75% highway, 25% city. Not much idling - just stop and go traffic in the city. Its not really dusty - its a temperate modern area.

My best guess is a good 10W-30 w/ a new filter every 3 months?

I think the van has an engine oil cooler as well (just a heat to coolant exchanger similar to what Police Interceptors and other Ford HD Fleet vehicles).

[ November 26, 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

Any good 10W-30 synthetic or the well blended Scheaffer's, along with good routine maintenance and you should go mid 6 digits!

One question, if you don't mind. How is the wording about the 5W-20? Any warranty words in there?

I can recommend with extreme prejudice Amsoil 5W-20 as one of the "better" group III containing 5W-20's, if you stick with the book.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Hi guys!

There's:

Mobil Drive Clean, Mobil 1
Castrol GTX, Castrol Syntec
Pennzoil PureBase, Synth w/ Pennzane
Quaker State, Quaker State Synth
Chevron Supreme,
Shell Rotella T Synth 5W-40
Wal-Mart Supertech Dino and Synth
Valvoline Dino and Synth
Motorcraft Synth Blend 5W-20, Dino 5w-30, 10W-30

weights are 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 (for some of them) and 5W-40 for the Shell.

The most expensive would be M1 at $4.77/qt (no 5-qt jugs for sale period, and the 6 qt cases are sold at $4.77/qt) which is the lowest price in the area!!
spaz.gif

I would plan on changing the oil around every 3 months (just about 3000 miles) - is this too soon? The driving is split: 75% highway, 25% city. Not much idling - just stop and go traffic in the city. Its not really dusty - its a temperate modern area.

My best guess is a good 10W-30 w/ a new filter every 3 months?

I think the van has an engine oil cooler as well (just a heat to coolant exchanger similar to what Police Interceptors and other Ford HD Fleet vehicles).

Considering you are thinking about 3k oil changes if it were my choice I would pick in order below because of whats available and actually they will probably run past well 3k with relative ease given how it is driven and the oil cooler

Motorcraft 5/30 winter and colder months and the same oil in the 10/30 for summer and warmer months

Mobil Drive Clean same as above

Same with the Chevron as third choice same as above
They would all be pretty darn close

If you wanted more miles per interval the Mobil Supersyn in the 5/30 all year round. You might save money by extending the drains with this oil ? When the motor accumulates more miles I would think about the SS 10/30 but that will be a few years down the road if you pick the synlube and stay with it.

Just what I would do,opinions will vary but the Morocraft oil is pretty good from seeing it through analysis and the next two Dinos as well

[ November 26, 2002, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

metroplex: I like your first choice, PENNZOIL 5W30 or 10W30 Purbase. It will do you a fantastic job for 3K to 5K oil changes.

I guess ol dragboat has forgotten about the 100,000 plus mile Pennzoil did on his daughters Caviler.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
metroplex: I like your first choice, PENNZOIL 5W30 or 10W30 Purbase. It will do you a fantastic job for 3K to 5K oil changes.

I guess ol dragboat has forgotten about the 100,000 plus mile Pennzoil did on his daughters Caviler.
grin.gif

Yep I dropped Pennzoil like a hot rock when I saw the 2650 mile analysis of the 10/30 in our newest car and then started comparing it to these other oil analysis. Times has changed since the 1992 model cars,,smaller sump capacity,different engine designs and Pennzoil does not work for me anylonger.

Your kids will make it through College without me I am sure Johnny so no hard feelings
smile.gif

Apparently the Cavalier does well on Phillips Trop Artic as well,,very very good as the first 3k analysis of the 5/30 "first time ever a 5/30 hs been used in the car" came in today from the Lab

[ November 26, 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Fords wording in the manual can be interesting. In most cases it will state that the recommended weight is 5w20 or some such thing. Note it does not say required. However, it will usually reference a Ford Spec ( I believe the latest spec ends with an -H), and lo and behold, the only oil that meets this spec is 5w20. So, this leads to the warranty questions.

That being said, if you aren't comfortable using the 5w20 oils, then I'd use a 5w30. That is the weight that was recommended in the 5.4l prior to 2001 or 2002 model years. I have two of the modular V8's that have run 155,000 miles and 81,000 miles respectively, with no issues on 5w30 - not even any consumption issues.

Metroplex, you must have noticed on here that many of us feel the 3k oil change is overkill. With a good dino oil you can go 4-5k (especially when starting with a new engine that's clean) and with a synthetic you can easily double that. My vote would be to pick a good synthetic, or the Schaeffer blend, and run it 6k or more. You'll spend less time changing your oil and more time enjoying driving!
smile.gif

Metroplex,

I'd use Mobil 1, 5w-30 and go with a 7500 mile/6 month oil and filter change schedule. With 75% highway driving, that should be very conservative. I'd also use a high quality oil filter like the Mobil 1 or PUR 1 ....

I really think all these OHC engines will experience less valvetrain wear in cold climates with 0w-30 or 5w-30 oils. Not only is it important to get the oil flowing quickly on startup, but you must be able to replenish the oil supply quickly enough to the cams while the engine is warming up and the oil is still comparatively thick. Ideally, you would like to avoid EVER having to run the engine under boundary lubrication conditions ....

[ November 30, 2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back