2003 Chevy Silverado 5.3-Mobil 1 5w30. Tell me what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is my 2nd UOA in a week but 1st for this truck!

2003 Silverado 5.3 V8
6,831 miles on the engine
3,000 miles on the oil
1st full run with Mobil1 5w30
Started with Mobil 1 oil filter but after I found out it did not flow well I put on a Napa Gold 1522 and toped off oil with 3/4 qt.

Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iorn 25
Copper 168
Lead 3
Tin 1
Molybednum 81
Nickel 1
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 171
Silicon 27
Sodium 9
Calcium 2747
Magnesium 21
Phosphorus 803
Zinc 924
Barium 0

TBN 4.3

SUS Viscosity @210 F 60.5
Flashpoint 420
Fule 0.5
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.5

I don't know much but Iorn and Copper seem very high! Should I be worried about this? I'll wait to see what Terry tells me but I don't like this report, my Camaro LS1 was better in my eyes but like I said I don't know much.

I should mention that 3 days a week I drive less than 6 miles to work and less then 6 miles back home mostly at speeds above 50 mph.

[ July 14, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Chris B. ]

Looks pretty good to me. The TBN is the new method so it's pretty good. Copper typical for GM engines. Silicon is typically higher for GM engines. Since the aluminum isn't that high I wouldn't worry. The iron is highe but not really bad for a new engine and may be pretty darn good.

Just for drill check the intake-especially the duct between the manifold and filter. Also verify the filter is installed in the filter box correctly and is fully seated. Insolubles are higher somewhat-but again it's a new engine.

Otherwise-steady as she goes.

I would be happy with the report.
smile.gif

[ July 14, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

The 5.3 engine is LS1 based, so it'll show very high copper for a while also, but it's harmless copper.

Nice report. Looks good for a 1st run. Keep going with it and see what happens. My opinion would be to run 10w-30 in the summer months.

Subtract a tad from the TBN and add about 10-15% to the metals due to the filter swap and top up.

Otherwise, no danger signals here on a new engine.

Looks fine for a new LS1 variant engine. High copper just comes with the territory - it will go down over time. Nothing to worry about here...

I am now running M1 10w30 and as soon as I hit another 3,000 miles I'll do another UOA. Thanks for the input guys!

Yes the lab said 5,000 no problem. These wear numbers will/should drop as the engine is broke in over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back