2003 Accord V6, M1 5w20, 4199 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to send in a sample out of curiosity, this vehicle has never had an oil analysis done, I was mainly interested in seeing what kind of fuel dilution was going on as the car has some serious start-up issues from time to time that I suspect lead to it being flooded with gas in the process.

Most trips are under 5 miles, some longer trips. Oil was taken out before "cold" of winter hit.

Vehicle also has pretty severe piston slap when it is cold.

E45064.jpg

I like synthetic oils but i wonder if your case is like my sons saturn, short trips less than 4 miles. I run a conventional oil in his car and change it at 2500-3000 miles, only because he never ever gets it up to temp. Normally i would say the 3000 mile oil change is dead, but in your case and his it might be better for the car to change it more often and use dino instead of expensive synthetic.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I like synthetic oils but i wonder if your case is like my sons saturn, short trips less than 4 miles. I run a conventional oil in his car and change it at 2500-3000 miles, only because he never ever gets it up to temp. Normally i would say the 3000 mile oil change is dead, but in your case and his it might be better for the car to change it more often and use dino instead of expensive synthetic.

Agreed. Short trips are a killer...

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
you may consider 5W-30 or 10W-30

Going forward this may be the plan. Of the vehicles I maintain they all call for 30's and 40's except this one.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Agreed, however the owner wants synthetic in the car so I think 3-4k OCI's will have to be the norm.

Right now the car has M1 0w20 in it and it seems head and shoulders above the 5w20 so far in terms of reducing noise although the piston slap is still very loud when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back