2003-04 Honda Element

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a 2003-04 Honda Element 2WD MT to replace the Accord. EPA MPG numbers are pretty close. 160hp, 3500lbs, 0-60 in 8.4.

Any experiences?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Looking for a 2003-04 Honda Element 2WD MT to replace the Accord. EPA MPG numbers are pretty close. 160hp, 3500lbs, 0-60 in 8.4.

Any experiences?

can you be more detailed what you are looking for.. at first glance this appears to be in the wrong forum.

also I'd take their 8.4 0 to 60 with a grain of salt.

other sources say near 10seconds..

my subaru with more hp, more torque and less weight is 9.7seconds.

I'm just not seeing how 160hp at 5500rpm, 150torque is going to move that thing that fast... physics.

edmunds says 9.7, 17.4 1/4 mile... much more reasonable.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/element/2003/full-test-2003-honda-element.html

but thats the auto version.. so I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: silverrat

Any experiences?

can you be more detailed what you are looking for.. at first glance this appears to be in the wrong forum.

It is in the wrong forum, sorry.

Consumer Guide got 0-60 in 8.8 seconds with a manual Element. That 8.4 second figure could be about right depending on the source.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2005-honda-element-1.htm

I own a similar car, a 2008 CRV, with a similar chassis and nearly identical engine. Mine is the K24Z1, but the Element probably has the K24A1 or A4 or similar. Same basic engine, just slight tweaks here and there for the intended application. The engine is smooth and pretty much trouble-free. Some K24s from that era experienced galling of some of the camshaft lobes. That's been discussed here before, with some pictures, so you might want to search on that.

As with many Hondas, you'll probably find the ride to be on the firm side of comfortable, but you'll probably also find the handling to be on the nimble side of safe. It'll probably have good road feel, but will deliver more road noise than others. At this price point, you can't have it all. If it's like other Hondas, the clutch will be smooth and trusty, and the manual transmission will be a delight to use.

I don't know any Element owners who DISlike their cars, but I'd reckon that you have to be the kind of person who wants and will utilize the cargo room and versatility of one to really get into it. The Element isn't for me personally, but I can vouch for the power train and general chassis behavior. It's a Honda; it'll have a low cost of ownership, it'll deliver a relatively good fun-to-drive factor, and will take care of you at the gas pump as well. The major downside is that they hold their value well so you might pay more than what you think you should to get into one. I guess that's the cost of overall goodness at this price range.

Consumer Guide (link above) sums it up:

Quote:
Element isn't so much an SUV as a motorized gear tote for "active lifestyle" types. Though not designed for posh comfort or serious off-roading, it earns our Recommended label as a versatile, practical, and roomy little wagon with Honda's expected solid workmanship and thoughtful features.

The 8.4 was from Car and Driver when tested new in 2003, and to clarify some of the other numbers a DX 2wd MT will weigh closer to 3352 and has 160hp @ 5500, 161tq @ 4500

1st: 3.533
2nd: 2.042
3rd: 1.355
4th: 1.028
5th: 0.825

Final Drive: 4.765

Compared to automatics

1st: 2.684
2nd: 1.535
3rd: 1.081
4th: 0.738

Final Drive: 4.438

By the way the ones Ive seen that I would buy have had around 170,000km and were priced around $5-6k

Last edited:
Honda Elements are kinda quirky, but completely bulletproof.

I've never heard of anyone having any serious problems with 'em....

The interior is not made as well on the Element as it is on most other Hondas.

However, I don't know of anything that is a major problem that will keep you from driving to work and back everyday.

I like the styling and interior function.

The only negative I have towards it, is that it will cost $1000 more in fuel per 25,000km compared to a 2004-05 Echo 3/5dr MT, the car I was set on up to now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back