2002 Taurus/Sable Rear Spring Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went in to Park Mazda in Akron Thursday to get my oil changed. Should be a good oil sample, 5W20 Exxon Superlfo with Lube Control in. Goes out Monday morning.
Anyway, as I was checking out, the clerk mentioned that my rear springs were cracked, but that I was lucky in that they cracked at the bottom, otherwise I could have had a punctured tire.
They quoted it as a three hour job, but I couldn't wait for the parts quote since I needed to get back to work.
I'll call around for quotes to my favorite three shops, so I'm not asking about prices.
My question is, any brands to avoid or steer towards on this?
Is it worth getting factory brand springs?

I haven't searched but do you have much of a choice with regards to aftermarket springs for an '02 Taurus/Sable? Maybe Moog or Monroe might have a p/n but otherwise you may be stuck with factory replacements. H&R makes good replacement springs (I have them on my car) but I'm not sure if they make a stock ride height replacement for your particular vehicle. Good luck.

Mercury sent me a "silent recall" for cracked strut springs for the front of my 1999 Sable wagon. It didn't have the struts in the back like the sedans do; I don't know if those were problematic as well. Perhaps Ford has a silent recall - I would check with them.

I believe that I have a list somewhere of all the different factory part #s, tag codes, and spring rates for those cars.
If you are interested, I can look for it.

Blokey,

The trick about aftermarket parts on the '02 Taurus/Sable is that the suspension is the same in the 4th Generation (01-06) as in the 3rd Gen (something like '96-00).
Thus, if someone made a spring that would fit a '97 Taurus, that same aftermarket part will fit my '02.
Good point, though. If the car had been INTRODUCED in '02, I would probably have Ford or Monroe to choose from.
RKBA: I have an account named tomjones762003 ***at*** yahoo ***dot*** com, and if you find that list as a file, feel free to send it. If it's a web site, feel free to post the link so we can all profit.

check out tauruscarclub.com, it is a common problem among 3rd/4th gen Taurus and the only way to solve it is either keep replacing it every once in a while or stiffen it up using stiffer springs, like SHO taurus stock spring or Eibach springs that has been discontinued.

My dad's have the same problem but he is less sensitivie about it, so we just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back