2002 Tacoma 5 speed - pops out of 5th

I have 280K miles on my Tacoma. For the last 50K or so it had a rumble strip noise in 5th gear. I had it in to a shop and they said it was likely a bearing going out. I pulled an oil sample, and sure enough it had very high metals.

I took it to a shop that rebuilds them. After I picked it up, I drove 2 miles, let off the gas in 5th gear, and it popped into neutral. It continues to do this when I let off the gas and only in 5th gear. It does this consistently when cold....let off the gas and in 2 or 3 seconds it pops out. When it warms up good, after driving for an hour or so, it doesn't do it as often and sometimes not at all if it's good and warm.

I took it back to the shop to show them. They called me today and want to swap the 75W-90 for 10W-30, saying the oil is too thick. I told them that's the wrong weight per the manual and I have 280K on it and it's never done it even when cold at -30°F. I asked to have the manager call me.

Does anyone know what would cause this and what the fix is? Needless to say I'm not happy and feel the 10W-30 route is a bandaid for some build issue when they had it apart.

I drove an old Ford Courier between college semesters that was used for deliveries. It used to pop out of 2nd when you let off the throttle. I always though it was a thrust clearance issue.

There is usually a spring loaded ball that holds it in gear. I wonder if it's missing.
I think you're referring to the "detent" ball which prevents inadvertent engaging of overdrive.. OP's problem is either the 5th gear "gear" or the gear that it meshes with.

My Cherokee used to pop out of the higher gears, 4, 5 during a deceleration. Turned out the trans mount and a body mount were bad. This is not the issue in your case.

I think the shop may be onto something, it goes away when the transmission fluid is warm. Guessing a thinner fluid may solve this.

My Cherokee used to pop out of the higher gears, 4, 5 during a deceleration. Turned out the trans mount and a body mount were bad. This is not the issue in your case.

I think the shop may be onto something, it goes away when the transmission fluid is warm. Guessing a thinner fluid may solve this.
Even 10W30 is going to be mighty thick when it's winter again though? I might humor them with putting in 10W30 but I bet even on a frosty morning this spring, it will pop out of 5th. I think they are going to have to go in again and have another look...

My dad has a 99 tacoma 5 speed that did the same thing starting about 120k miles. Turned out to be a worn bushing in the shifter, cost about 5 dollars and took 30 mins to fix it.

My dad has a 99 tacoma 5 speed that did the same thing starting about 120k miles. Turned out to be a worn bushing in the shifter, cost about 5 dollars and took 30 mins to fix it.
Start simple for sure. If the shop wants to go thinner there’s a list on this forum of a plethora of manual transmission fluids and their exact viscosities to look into and possibly try.

Back