2002 Subaru WRX, EJ205 - RT6, 5275 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, bullet dodged, it seems.

I had *two* "tearolator" filters , including this OCI sample, so figured I'd see a bunch of wear. All looks OK , save for nickel (again). Thoughts? Somewhere several years back someone posted about high Ni from cracking oil pick up tubes; AFAIK the bugeyes were not prone to this failure. Will keep searching. At least its stable over the last 25K mi/2 years (was 5 ppm then). Not thrilled with viscosities at the low end for a 40 grade in just
90% highway driving >65 MPH w/ occasional trips to redline. PureOne air filter.

]2014 scan[/url]

The PureOne air filter is a good product for sure, as long as you get it sealed good they stop lots of junk before they even make it to the oil filter.

I don't recall hearing about nickel issues for bugeyes, either. Other than that nickel, it looks good. Our cars don't "need" 40 wt, so the viscosity doesn't bother me so much -- it's still in spec. If it's a big concern, I've had better luck with sheer stability from GC, Redline and Motul -- but all higher-$$ options. I just put some T6 in my 02 bugeye (~116K miles) this week, so we'll see how that looks in comparison.

Originally Posted By: oaklandish_wrx
Well, bullet dodged, it seems.

I had *two* "tearolator" filters , including this OCI sample, so figured I'd see a bunch of wear. All looks OK

Glad to hear an oil filter tear didn't cause the sky to fall on you.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back