2002 Silverado 5.3 AMSOIL ATM10w-30, 5,147 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Silverado, 5.3 AMSOIL ATM 10w-30, 5,147 miles

Here is a sample from my 2002 Silverado. It has 182k on it and this run of AMSOIL ATM 10w-30 was run from Nov last year until last week with 5,147 miles on it. The oil filter was an Ea064 and the air filter is a Car Quest that was installed at the beginning of this oil change. Gas ran has been Exxon 93 with a mix of 50/50 E85 for the entire run.

I also had major gasket replacement done. The oil pan gasket, valve cover, intake and valley cover gasket were changed along with the rear main seal and the oil pressure switch. Reason was I had an oil leak and from the process of elimination the last thing I did was the rear main seal and of course that was the main cause. Oh well, it is all sealed up not.

I did have an oil consumption issue before the gasket changes. It would go through a quart in 5k miles. Now it doesn't use any. Also when ever I would tow our trailer, (4klbs 20') it would smoke on start up first thing the next morning. Now it is smoke free. So I'm thinking I had a small leak somewhere around my intake gasket/valley gasket.

Wait is this truck a flex fuel truck, or is this an experiment?

At any rate, good results for a Chevy that does towing.

It isn't a FF vehicle. I just run E85 because it runs better to me and is less expensive. Plus I like the way the exhaust smells.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
It isn't a FF vehicle. I just run E85 because it runs better to me and is less expensive. Plus I like the way the exhaust smells.

Digging the smell:
thumbsup2.gif

Any concerns with the E85 rotting out some non-FF components?

I’m surprised that the TBN is that low with such a short OCI. I wonder if the extra ethanol in the fuel knocks TBN down faster. The water content and wear metals are a bit high too.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Originally Posted By: Rat407

Digging the smell:
thumbsup2.gif

Any concerns with the E85 rotting out some non-FF components?

I've been running E85 in it for over 2 years now and do not see any issues.

These engines are not designed to run e85. Neither is the fuel components Max allowed is 15% not 85% in the long run you would destroy the injectors the fuel pump. Tuners are running e85 and making 1200hp in 2J motors, but it is built for this. E85 is very similar to methanol and you can run very high compression.

Last edited:
Pays for a Dyson analysis, but then uses E85 in a nonFF vehicle ...
21.gif

The Fe is up; high on a per-mile basis. Si is up; could be the sealers curing, or dirt induced into the engine via the work; no way to know for sure. As long as subsequent OCI/UOAs show the Si comes down and the Fe comes down, it will be OK. That is, until the fuel system rots from the inside out.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
These engines are not designed to run e85. Neither is the fuel components Max allowed is 15% not 85% in the long run you would destroy the injectors the fuel pump. Tuners are running e85 and making 1200hp in 2J motors, but it is built for this. E85 is very similar to methanol and you can run very high compression.

in 2002 GM sold the 5.3 for Flex Fuel. Same engine. Different fuel pump/injectors size. Agree, running it is not smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back