2002 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4 High Mileage ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I am not sure that Dorman can't screw up a transmission pan. What's the country of origin?

I was wondering that as well so I've decided to keep the OE pan and do a few pan drops and filter changes before continuing onto the proper interval. It has served well for 15 years and 150k miles, so..

The Dorman pan has good reviews on Amazon. Use it with confidence. I'd totally get one if I ever had an automatic transmission with no drain plug and no other alternatives were available.

ALL transmissions should have a drain plug, period. Absolutely NO excuse for not including one.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
GM was probably too stupid to include a drain plug, so you'll have to drop the pan.

But the good news is that Dorman makes an aftermarket transmission pan that does have a drain plug
smile.gif

Interesting found a transmission pan on rock auto for my Dakota that has a drain plug I'm going to order it, thanks. I have put my own plugs on transmission pans before but this seems much easier for only $18.00.
TOTO.

Last edited:
I had a 99 Grand Am, sister has it now and it still runs like a top, I did a pan drop and filter change around 110,000 miles. It also has the 3.4 and I'd be willing to bet the exact same transmission. The fluid/filter swap didn't hurt the transmission by any means. Still running perfect at 160,000 miles.

I used Valvoline Max Life ATF, don't remember what filter.

My only advice is to either order a new OEM transmission pan gasket or attempt to clean and reuse the old one. I cleaned and reused the old one and it's never leaked a drop. The new gasket that came with the filter was absolute junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back