2002 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin transmission oils change

Hi everyone, I am writing from Italy.

I would like to do some maintenance to my mom's 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin.

As it is an uncommon car this is the official model name Mitsubishi H60W H141 SMMKKRR14 engine code 4G93

Over the years it has only changed the oil and filter as well as the brake fluid.

I was wondering if it was time to replace the whole transmission oils. It has no problem but I think it may be a good idea after 19 years.

Nothing is written in the use and maintenance booklet.

Searching on the internet I found a workshop manual (in Russian I think) and I seem to have understood that these are the volumes and specifications.

rear differential 1,7 liters GL5 75W90
front differential 0,9 liters GL5 75W90
transmission 2,2 liter and gearbox and 2,4 liter GL4 75W90

I would like to ask you for advice on the type of oil to use because I imagine that doing everything with a single gl4 / GL5 oil would be a mistake.

The oil of the differentials (I guess less delicate) must only be GL5 or is GL4 / GL5 okay?
Should the transmission and gearbox oil (I guess more delicate) only be GL4?

Could you give me some advice?

Thanks so much

GL5 for the front and rear differentials

GL4 for the manual transmission

transfer case?

Whats your owner's manual say? Post a picture of the fluid requirements.

gl4 for the transfer case but I always put a gl4/5 fluid in them. There's no yellow metals or synchro's to get damaged from gl5 and they tend to shed a LOT of iron.

GL4/5 fluid in the manual transmission is a mistake, they tend to be very viscous in their grade and are not helping smooth shifting.

that's all I found

my question is where is mandatory to use a only GL4 oil? where is mandatory to use a only GL-5 oil ? where can I use an approved GL-4 and GL-5?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 49
Manual transmission and transfer case in this application will take GL-4, do not use GL-5. The differentials will take GL-5. You can use 75W-90 or even 80W-90 where you are.

I apologize if I ask for confirmation.

If I understand correctly, a GL5 only oil is needed for the differentials and a GL4 / GL5 is no good

For the gearbox and the transfer case a GL4 only oil is required and a GL4 / GL5 is not good (and I imagined this, especially for the gearbox)

For the GL4, Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90
For the GL5, any 75w90 GL5 will be good. Differentials usually aren't picky

Just be glad you're in Europe where you can actually get GL4 75w90. It's basically unavailable in the US at any price :alien:

Back