2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0l 5-spd German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time UOA posting - please give me guidance!

[img:left]oil[/img]

Copper and Silicon are high and have been high. This car has a k&n cone filter on an aftermarket intake (for the last 40k) which is the only way sand could be getting into the engine I can come up with. The intake system is tight, no leaks, but I've heard the K&Ntype filters let more grit through than factory.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Get rid os the K&N - you have significantly high silicon, which is causing bad abrasive wear.

You can see this is the case as insols. are up to 0.4 - usually they sit around 0.2-0.3.

There's been some good evidence of how K&N filters let in more grit than paper filters on the boards recently.

I really don't understand why anybody would run a K&N air filter.
They always seem to allow more abrasives through. I would use a Fram, Wix, Purolator etc...

Are the HKS-style foam filter better - any feedback?

I like the power and sound of the cold intake system, but grit in the engine is an unacceptable price...

TBN is good, but it's time to dump this oil for the silicon...

And ditch the K&N.

I finally ditched mine...as the engine simply is down a bit on compression and power after running one for 50K...sure, they warranty the FILTER for 1,000,000 miles...but do they warranty the MOTOR?

If you want a synthetic media filter for high flow intakes, go with the AFE or AEM dry filters.

Amsoil makes an excellent after market intake filter, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back