2002 Kia oil recommendation !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual says to use a ( API SG or SH ECII ) period!

Is Kia lost in a time warp?
tongue.gif

The manual also has a graph that shows 5/30 to be used from -25 to +35F and 10/30 from -10 to +90F

Guess the Wife cannot drive anylonger when the ambient is above 90 per the owners manual as apparently a 10/40 is not allowed or will void the warranty!!
grin.gif

It will most certainly self destruct. Manufactures are always looking for your best interest, not theirs. The 5w30 couldn't possibly be due to CAFE.

SG, that's pretty funny too...was Kia even a company when that rating was current?!
grin.gif

Holy cow, a 2002 vehicle that isn't specifying SJ or SL? Strange.

I was topping up my oil this morning and noticed that my oil cap says to use SG rated oil. (for those that don't know, I've got a 95 Firebird Formula) Obviously I am not going out specifically looking to find an SG oil though!
grin.gif

I seriously doubt that it will self destruct running 10W30. My stepmother's '87 Mazda 323 has 180k on 10W30 and runs great and it does get hot in SW Louisiana. Run the 10W30 until the warranty is out and then run what you want. Many cars go to 200k+ on 10W30...

quote:

SG, that's pretty funny too...was Kia even a company when that rating was current?!

The Korean auto manufacturers have been around for quite a while. It's just that recently they have begun direct marketing in North America. I gotta stress that direct part. People would be surprised how many of the small "American" cars were actually made by Kia and especially Dae Woo in the 80's and 90's. Obviously, Korean auto makers still have a way to go. Hyundai is leading the Korean pack with modernization and quality.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I seriously doubt that it will self destruct running 10W30. My stepmother's '87 Mazda 323 has 180k on 10W30 and runs great and it does get hot in SW Louisiana. Run the 10W30 until the warranty is out and then run what you want. Many cars go to 200k+ on 10W30...

That was a sarcastic statement. I was refering to 10w40, which of course won't cause any problems either.

quote:

Originally posted by twb:

quote:

The Korean auto manufacturers have been around for quite a while. It's just that recently they have begun direct marketing in North America. I gotta stress that direct part. People would be surprised how many of the small "American" cars were actually made by Kia and especially Dae Woo in the 80's and 90's. Obviously, Korean auto makers still have a way to go. Hyundai is leading the Korean pack with modernization and quality.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's pretty obvious the ones that were. Ford Festiva as one example.

Jason,this is a actual Kia engine,others in their line use Hyundai and I think Mitsubishi engines,might be Mazda design though instead of Mitsubishi?.

Kia has been around a while,they built the Ford Festiva and the Aspire.

Interesting that I still see many Festivas on the road and I don't think many Aspires were sold

I also have found they use this particuler engine in a marine application overseas. But that's about all I can find out. This is what got me more interested in oils,the purchase of this car and trying in vain to find out what type rear and front main seals it uses.The composition of the material that is.

I know I'm drifting off topic but does anyone else find it funny that KIA in the military stands for Killed In Action!
grin.gif

I think small cars are not as popular now as they were back then (Aspire vs. Festiva)
Interesting... Don't know about the seals either. Maybe you could buy some or just go to dealer and find out OEM, then track them down...

Oh ya, and one more thing regarding the original post. Maybe KIA doesn't recommend driving their cars at temps over 90F for fear that they'll overheat with their lackluster cooling systems!
tongue.gif

You should get in touch with someone at Kia (if anyone is still there!) and find out what oil they do recommend if it's over 90F! Seems strange they would put a cap on the upper level like that.

HEHE!
lol.gif

That makes it too easy. Don't even have to think up an acronym like:
FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily
BMW=Buy More Wrenches
FIAT=Fix It Again Tony
Any more?
smile.gif

See how long it take me to type? 4 posts while I typed on paragraph. He He!

Yep it's getting 10/30 all year round . It has a pretty much controlled life in that it is driven to the interstate hiway 1 mile away then 27 or so miles to Wifes work and 3/4 mile off interstate hiway to parking 5 days a week,parked on weekends. Even when above 90F on the way home it is only a 30 minute run.
It took along time for that thing to breakin! 5k miles has finally settled in it seems because have seen it go from 27mpg with the a/c off to 33.5 mpg with a/c on I used the Lucas fuel treatment as a upper cylinder lube during breakin now have kept using it because it increases fuel milaege and should help the fuel pump last longer and lube the injectors plus I get it by the case for 6 bucks a quart.

Anyway,I thought you all would get a kick out of Kias API oil recommendations

BMW Babbling Mechanical Wench
BMW Beastly Monsterous Wonder
BMW Beautiful Masterpeices on Wheels
BMW Beautiful Mechanical Wonder
BMW Big Money Waste
BMW Big Money Works
BMW Blastphemous Motorized Wreck
BMW Born Moderately Wealthy.
BMW Break My Windows
BMW Broken Money Waster
BMW Broken Monsterous Wonder
BMW Brutal Money Waster
BMW Bumbling Mechanical Wretch

Buick Big Ugly Import Car Killer
Buick Big Ugly Indestructable Car Killer
Buick Big Ugly Indestructable Compact Killer

Chevy Car Has Extensive Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips.
Chevy Charged Heavily
Chevy Cheapest Heap Ever Visioned Yet

Dodge Dead Or Dying Garbage Emitter
Dodge Drips Oil, Drops Grease, Everywhere

Fiat F****** Italian Attempt (at) Transportation.
Fiat Failure in Automotive Technology
Fiat Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation
Fiat Fix It Again Tony?

Ford ****** over rebuilt Dodge
Ford ****** Only Runs Downhill
Ford ****** on Race Day
Ford First On Recall Day
Ford First on race day
Ford Fix Or Repair Daily
Ford Found on road dead
Ford Fraternal Order of Restored DeSoto's

GMC Garage Man's Companion
GMC Generally Mediocre Cars
GMC Get More Chicks
GMC Got More C**p

Mopar Most Often Passed At Races
Mopar Mostly Old Parts And Rust
Mopar Mostly Old Paint And Rust

Plymouth Please Let Your Mother Out Under The Hood!

Pontiac Poor old nut thinks it's a Cadillac

SAAB Stupid, Arrogant A****** Babies
SAAB Such an arrogant bastard!
SAAB Swedish Automobile - Always Broken

Toyota Too Often Yankes Overprice This Auto

It is amazing some of the crazy recommendations that car makers put in the manuals regarding oil viscosities and temperature ranges. It makes you wonder exactly how much thought they really put into it, if they do actual testing and oil analysis?

At least in my owner's manual it says I can use 10w30 as long as it's above 0F. I would've used it anyways, however it rarely goes below 0F here anyways, so I am actually following what they say. My wife's Honda says to only use 10w30 above 32F though, but after I have done one interval with 5w30 SuperSyn I want to try out using 10w30 SuperSyn to compare, and after that I'll probably keep it on 10w30 Shaeffers just like my car. With both cars using it I can order more cases and save on shipping costs too!

fruit.gif

Here is another laugh for that API oil recommendation and change interval.
Every 7.5 months or 7500 miles normal operation

That Analysis of the Mobil Drive Clean 10/30 looks as though it could do it. Still,5k seems enough.

I have been on a buying spree! I have 6 of Terry's test kits here! Will find out what good for the Kia!

Then converesly with the Automatic Transaxle it uses a new trick Diamond class fluid call SK ATF SP-III that the 3 Metropolitan Dealers were not aware of UNTIL I brought it to their attention after calling to ask the price per quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back