2002 Infiniti G20 Sport: Castrol GTXHM 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new daily driver last week:

2002 Infiniti G20 Sport
209K miles
$800

Felt like it was a great deal, considering I've been wanting a cheap fuel saver for awhile. The Toyota Matrix has been pretty much handed over to my dad for now, he doesn't drive much and I was putting a lot of miles on it over the last year. The Jeep is rough to drive 80 miles round trip to work and back because it gets just under 14mpg. The 300ZX continues to be a project.

The G20 needs a little TLC. Transmission slips a tad when cold. Already did a Castrol Transmax HM ATF drain and fill. Needs new CV axles, well the boots, but I'll go ahead and do the whole shebang.

PO says the SR20 motor burns some oil, 1qt per 500 miles, but I can already see the valve cover gasket needs changing and I went ahead and did an OC using Castrol GTX HM 10w40 and haven't noticed any significant oil loss. I think I'll do the valve stem seals once I do the valve cover gasket. Never done that before though, but from what I can tell, it's pretty straight forward.

Hopefully I can go about 250-260K on this little car before any significant changes need to be made!

PS - if this is better off in an introduction forum, feel free to move it. I was looking for some oil suggestions for the SR20 though. I may try the MaxLife 15w40 I used in the Jeep before to see if that helps the SR20 out, or maybe Mobil1 HM 10w40.

GTX anything is always an excellent choice. Next oil change try Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30.

Hmm. It'll probably get about 26 mpg and save you $1,500 a year in gas, or $125 a month. Factoring in the cost of maintaining it, repairing it, the purchase price, registration, and insurance, you might not be that much ahead.

Just something to think about. Good luck with the car though!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Hmm. It'll probably get about 26 mpg and save you $1,500 a year in gas, or $125 a month. Factoring in the cost of maintaining it, repairing it, the purchase price, registration, and insurance, you might not be that much ahead.

Just something to think about. Good luck with the car though!

You are right, but for my current situation, it'll work. Lol

I may cut even over a years time, but the second year would benefit me. I may end up selling the Jeep, but I'd really hate to. Even with 282k+ miles, it runs and looks like it has 80k. Very fun vehicle.

IF the temperature is right 20w50 is the way to go.
Most SR20 in my country lives on 20w50 and works well, but our temperature allows us to use this thick oil.
Valvoline maxlife is a good oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GTX anything is always an excellent choice. Next oil change try Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30.

You keep teasing us with your sig. says you use EDGE
21.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

21.gif

When my uoa comes in I'll reveal my secret
wink.gif

21.gif

wink.gif

You sneaky bugger you
wink.gif

21.gif

wink.gif

Wait, is what I know a secret? I'm confused now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back