2002 Honda Accord timong belt change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this first:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007540;p=1

I'd at least get the TB and water pump done by the dealership, if you can't do it yourself. I had them also do the plugs and antifreeze, which I could have done myself, just didn't have time. Since no one really knows for sure WHAT type of antifreeze Honda uses, stick with their stuff. Pricey? Yes, but I had them put the old water pump in the truck and looked at closely over the weekend. That pump looked almost brand new from the inside. No mineral build up, no nothing. Glad I decided to stay with the OEM stuff as I had the coolant flushed and then filled. Front plugs are easy to change out, the rears, you'll need some universal joints and some extensions, but nothing major, just be patient. Did notice that the car seems to be a little quicker. All in all, expect about pay between 5 and 6 hundred, depending on what you want done. But I will say this and it seems your wife drives as much as mine does given the same times ours hit 105K, the TB looked really good. Mechanic said I probably could have gone another 10 to 20K on it, but it's all a crap shoot at this point. Don't let them talk you into new tensioners, you won't need them now, maybe next 105K miles, but not now, and transmission flush. All they do is drain it, refill, run it for a little, drain, refill, etc. etc. for three cycles. If you can change oil, you can do that yourself. Just pick up 9 quarts of Honda ATF. Everytime you drain the transmission, it's exactly 3 quarts on this model. We also have a 06 with the 5 speed AT, don't know how much it exactly holds, but can't be much more. Also, call other dealerships to see what the best price is. I had the dealership I bought the car from match another dealership 80 miles away. Remember first and foremost....it's YOUR money!!!!!

My wife's 2002 Honda is getting close to the 105,000 timing belt change. What is done during this service and what should I expect to pay. does it really need to be done?

Honda's antifreeze is OAT (sodium benzoate) with a stiff dose of phosphate for hybrid protection. No big mystery other than why the dealers charge so much for it.

From what I hear the crankshaft bolt is pretty hard to get off. Best to use a pneumatic impact gun. I would change the tensioners while I'm in there. That way you know for sure you don't have to worry about anything for another 100K.

I've got a '93 Accord that will be coming up for a TB shortly. My son just got his '95 Civic TB/water pump done at the stealership, brought his own parts. Get your parts from NVTHAI on ebay, good parts, cheap price...he will answer any questions you have re: manufacturer etc.
Hope this helps.
P.B. (still smoke free in '06)
wink.gif

The list of stuff that should be changed with a Honda Timing Belt job is:

Timing Belt, Balance shaft belt and drive belt(s)
Water pump
Oil, camshaft, and two other seals (I forgot the names)
Oil pump seal retainer

I'd change the oil, filter, air filter and spark plugs. I'd also get a valve adjustment done while the valve cover is off and they have the engine at TDC.

I'd get the fuel filter changed also.

I had all that done except the oil change and air filter at a local private mechanic for $550 including genuine Honda parts on my 95 Accord EX 4 cyl.

quote:

Originally posted by blair:
My wife's 2002 Honda is getting close to the 105,000 timing belt change. What is done during this service and what should I expect to pay. does it really need to be done?

YES!! Your engine is what they call an "interference" design, which means that if the belt breaks, the chances are high that the pistons will hit the valves, with very expensive damage occurring thereby!

Your limit will be 7 years or 105,000 miles.

Typically, the water pump will be replaced (~$60 or so), and the balance shaft belts must also be replaced if present.

It's a good idea to replace the tensioners as well.

A bonus is to change all the oil seals as well, but that's not really necessary unless they're weeping.

Total will be on the order of $400 or so if done at a dealer with all OEM parts, (OEM is STRONGLY recommended). It will be less at an independent with aftermarket parts.

Lots more info here: www.tegger.com/hondafaq
(can I plug my own site here?)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Honda's antifreeze is OAT (sodium benzoate) with a stiff dose of phosphate for hybrid protection. No big mystery other than why the dealers charge so much for it.

OK, so tell me, exactly, which brand is that? What's it called?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
400???? at a dealership? For all that? Dream on.....

Every time I tell people $500-$600 I get others coming out of the woodwork telling me how they can get it cheaper...

I can't win.

quote:

400???? at a dealership? For all that? Dream on.....

To do all of the items you listed above, a good independent shop in the bay area charged about $1000.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

Currently, there are no OTC coolants that feature both OAT and phosphates as a means of "hybrid" protection. The most common "hybrid" approach is G-05, which uses silicates and OAT to create a HOAT based product. Unfortunately, some OEMs consider silicates as damaging to water pump seals (unsure of Honda's stance), thus they use phosphates instead.

The current "universal" fluids use "straight OAT" without the aid of any phosphates or silicates. Though the approach is different than the OEM formulation, they have thoroughly tested the product in that application. Unlike other makes, all of the leading antifreeze blenders agree that a silicate and phosphate free formulation is the best choice for late model Hondas.

quote:

Originally posted by Tegger:

A bonus is to change all the oil seals as well, but that's not really necessary unless they're weeping.

Yeah. Cheap out on $25 worth of seals and $18 worth of extra labor to replace them. That way, when they DO START LEAKING 15,000 miles later, you get to look at that oil leak on your garage floor!

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tegger:

Yeah. Cheap out on $25 worth of seals and $18 worth of extra labor to replace them. That way, when they DO START LEAKING 15,000 miles later, you get to look at that oil leak on your garage floor!

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

So says the fella that bought a used Honda "with the timing belt just changed"

Myself and many that I know personally have NEVER seen the balancer shaft belt break (or show signs of any wear) and therefore stopped replacing them as it was simply a waste of money.

A cyber-dollar to anyone who can guess why this belt is never worn...
smile.gif

I paid about $700.00 for the full timing belt change treatment at my local dealership. Yes, independent mechanics may be able to do it less expensively, but I do not think all the other repairs such as water pump are included. P.S. The balancer belt never wears out because it is extremely well adjusted and it likes you.
rolleyes.gif

No balancer shaft belt....hmmm.

Not sure what that is, but the concept sounds familiar. I for one (as a mechanically inclined individual) have never had to replace a bad "muffler bearing". However, it seems like my wife and several girlfriends (in the pre-marriage days) were having their friendly mechanics replace these muffler bearings at an alarming rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back