2002 Honda Accord sparkplugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's plugs are due to be changed soon according to the manual (4 cycl). I checked on prices and they were $11 a piece for NGK's! I can't recall what kind they were, maybe iridiums or whatever the top of the line is. Question is, will the $2 NGK's work just as well?

Regular plugs will probably work fine, but require more frequent replacement.

Another thought though, is that if the plugs were of the iridium type, the ignition system may then have been optumized with the smaller diameter center electrode in mind, which is suppose to provide better spark characteristics (a similar spark comp. to an older plug style, even with lower voltage). The plug style change could result in a slight decrease in running efficiency.

How often does the manufacturer recommend the plugs be changed? Iridiums go the longest, followed by platinums (has to do with the high melting points of the metal) - platinums to have a small center electrode, so I gather they would be the next best thing to change to. Try the Autolight double platinums - I'm running their single platinum design right now in my 850 Volvo with a ground electrode modification that's similiar to side gapping, but it's only cut back to expose half the diameter of the center electrode...I'm hoping this still yields increased efficiency while maintaining a degree of plug longevity, unlike the full blown side-gapped style where the gap more quickly grows with use.

Good luck...but either way, I think it works out to be an investment that cost next to nothing per mile driven...unless of course something happens between now and the next schedualed plug change.

I'd shop around. I bought my high performance iridium NGKs at $7.5 Canadian on sale for my Suzuki. They will not last as long as the stock ones, but they are still better choice then platinums or other alternatives. The manual calls for 100k km replacement.

The 2002 Honda Accord specs 5w20 oil. What oil have you been using in it?

My service manual says to replace the plugs at 105K miles/7 years.

NGK: PZFR5F-11
DENSO: PKJ16CR-L11

Previous years that used non-platinum plugs:
NGK: ZFR5F-11
DENSO: KJ16CR-L11

the recomended interval is 30K miles/2 years.

There is a big difference between platinum and double platinum plugs. Double platinum plugs have a little chunk of platinum on the ground electrode.

Double platinum plugs are supposed to last about 60k miles. Iridium plugs are supposed to last about 100k miles. Most all newer cars are specifiing Iridium plugs.

If your car came with double platinum do not put the cheaper platinum plugs on it. I think NGK double platinum are the best double platinums out there. However, you can put Iridium plugs on a car with Double platinums. I believe Denso Iridiums are better than NGK. There is some data out there at shows you actually get a 0.5-1% percent more HP with Iridium vs Double platinum.

A good site that allows you to compare prices for all plugs for your car is: www.sparkplugs.com. If you want to buy Denso Iridium plugs go to ebay.

I had been using NAPA 5W-20 cause its about all I could find, but I recently found Mobil 7500 in 5W-20 so thats what I'm using now. I think the NAPA was Havoline. I guess I'll go with what the Honda manual says for plugs, do you gap those things the same way?

I always check the gap before putting in plugs, but I've always found these long-life platinum plugs in spec right out of the box.

Specs for new plugs are:

0.039-0.043 in. (1.0-1.1mm)

They are measured the usual way.

I suggest sticking with the manufacturer's recommendations. Virtually all of the Iridiums plugs out there aren't of the long life type unless there are direct replacements for long-life Iridiums installed at the factory.

To many people get sucked into the marketing WOW factor of the Iridium label.

[ April 29, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

I put on Champion's, the copper plugs. Work great. I plan on changing them every 20,25, or 30K miles anyway. The originals were (supposed) to be good for 100K, and they look like they'd do it. They were NGK plats. So far, the Champion's have been great, and I've got perhaps 1000 miles on them. I'd put in either the Champions, the NGK Iridiums (better plug, less $$!!), or Denso's if I could find them.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Platinum's at all, I'd go either the basic copper plug or Iridium. In cars, I'd go basic. In vehicles that are prone to fouling (like motorcycles), then I usually go Iridium.

edit: forgot to add that I've got an '02 V6 Accord, and yeah, it likes the Champions JUST FINE.

You are not supposed to check the gap of platinum or Iridium plugs. The gap tool may leave metal behind on the electrodes.

I do not think the Iridium claims are hype. The data I have seen have been actual dyno hp tests of engines. I saw data for a newer mustang and I saw data for some honda engine. Also saw data for a Mitsu MIVEC engine. All data was actual dyno hp charts before/after. Don't ask for the links I did not keep them.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
You are not supposed to check the gap of platinum or Iridium plugs. The gap tool may leave metal behind on the electrodes.

I do not think the Iridium claims are hype. The data I have seen have been actual dyno hp tests of engines. I saw data for a newer mustang and I saw data for some honda engine. Also saw data for a Mitsu MIVEC engine. All data was actual dyno hp charts before/after. Don't ask for the links I did not keep them.

Winston, I think you're depending on Website author opinions to heavily. My Honda Service manual doesn't say any such thing about not checking the gap of the spec-ed plugs.

As far as Iridium claims, if the possibility of gaining a hp or two in a 200 hp engine are important to you, by all means, spend your money on the Iridiums. Just don't expect them to last anywhere as long as the long-life platinums that are spec-ed for the engine. Probably by a factor of 3.

And if you do your homework, you'll find that there are long-life Iridiums, but they aren't marketed as heavily, since they're even more expensive than the long-life platinums.

From what I recall on gapping the platinum plugs either from the container box and/or shop manual - it was fine to initially gap them, but not those that have already been used. I think it may have to do with bringing non-platinum material closer to the ionization zone where, due to original material erosion, may serve as a new grounding site (just a thought).

As far as iridium plugs life - because of the metals very high melting point, I thought that made it a long-life material for a spark plug. Iridium plugs I believe have been used by the military for some time - I think I remember something about helicopters, but that's out of my range.

OK. I went to a couple mfg's and I think I am wrong about the gapping thing. Must be a myth. The mfg's I check both said checking the gap was OK with a few warnings.

-The tip of iridium plugs is fragile. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.
-Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

So, I admit I was wrong.

As far as the life of Iridium plugs I do not think I am wrong. There is only one plug specified for use with my '03 Montero. A Denso Iridium. The manual says the replacement interval is 100k miles. For other Mitsu's with platinum plugs the replacement interval is 60k miles(double platinum only). All literature I have read state that Iridiums last longer than platinums. I have not seen any "long life" Iridiums vs non "long life" Iridiums. As far as platinum plugs, there definately are cheap platinums and expensive platinums. As far as cost. The Iridiums cost about the same as a good (NGK or Denso) double platinum.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/glossary....m+tough+plugs+and+how+can+I+get+them?&manID=0

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=102&c=15

From Denso:

"The difference between the SK20R11 and the IK20 is one, the size of the Iridium Power center electrode and the ground electrode configuration. The SK20R11 has a 0.7mm center electrode and a platinum disk on the ground electrode. The IK20 has a 0.4mm center electrode and a tapered cut ground electrode, no platinum disk. The SK20R11 will last about twice as long as the IK20. The IK20 is the performance plug and the SK20R11 is the OE plug."

[ April 29, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

I'd use the same plug if they went 100k trouble free. It's probably worth shopping around for a better price though.

quote:

Originally posted by blair:
My wife's plugs are due to be changed soon according to the manual (4 cycl). I checked on prices and they were $11 a piece for NGK's! I can't recall what kind they were, maybe iridiums or whatever the top of the line is. Question is, will the $2 NGK's work just as well?

At 11 bucks for 4.... 44 bucks at 105K
I change my sparkplugs every 30K. Its about even. Just go with the Iridums. I just started using platinum plugs because I have a higher powered ignition coil.

I was ready to concede defeat until I actually read your links. Both of the links talk about plugs that are not available in the US. It looks like Denso and NGK makes different quality Iridium plugs. However, they may or may not be available in the US. Your quote regarding twice as long is from a UK site talking about plugs that are not available in the US.

Here is a technical paper regarding Iridium plugs.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/pdfs/iri.pdf

This paper clearly shows that Iridium is a superior material for spark electrodes.

As far as whether Platinum will last longer than Iridium? A good quality Iridium will last longer than a good quality platinum. The cars with the longest spark plug change intervals are Iridium (up to 100,000 miles-Mitsubishi). I have not found an mfg that recommends 100k mile plug changes with Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back