2002 Ford Focus - spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost the manual for the car. Does anyone know how long the spark plugs are good for with the smaller 115hp 4cyl?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I lost the manual for the car. Does anyone know how long the spark plugs are good for with the smaller 115hp 4cyl?

Buster, check on the emission sticker under the hood. It lists the spark plug for that vehicle. At least my 1996 Ford Contour does. Remember even if someone has the same engine in their Focus but it's a different model year or there was a change mid year the plugs could be different than your's. I would suggest that you stick with the Motorcraft plugs. Even though Autolite's are similar they are not EXACTLY the same and may not run as well as the Motorcraft plugs. Just my .02.

Whimsey

Thanks Whimsey.
smile.gif

Most likely 100K.

Go to the Edmunds.com maintenace guide and look under what should be done to the car at 100,000 miles, and see if Spark Plugs are included on that list.

Michael

Sorry Buster, I'm a complete dumb a**. Due to sleep depravation I thought you were looking for the spark plug #
pat.gif
. As Michael Wan says it's most likely 100,000 miles as per Ford. BUT if you intend to keep the vehicle I'd change the plugs in the 50-60,000 miles range. They are steel threaded plugs in an aluminum head. The longer they stay in the head the more they "weld" themselves to the head. They are real easy to change. I changed my Contour's at about 53,000 miles and noticed the platinum discs were well worn increasing the plug gap. I used antisieze on the new plugs when I installed them. The old plugs at even 53,000 miles were a bit difficult to remove smoothly.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Sorry Buster, I'm a complete dumb a**. Due to sleep depravation I thought you were looking for the spark plug #
pat.gif
. As Michael Wan says it's most likely 100,000 miles as per Ford. BUT if you intend to keep the vehicle I'd change the plugs in the 50-60,000 miles range. They are steel threaded plugs in an aluminum head. The longer they stay in the head the more they "weld" themselves to the head. They are real easy to change. I changed my Contour's at about 53,000 miles and noticed the platinum discs were well worn increasing the plug gap. I used antisieze on the new plugs when I installed them. The old plugs at even 53,000 miles were a bit difficult to remove smoothly.

Whimsey

Steel threads? I'd think that most "long life" plugs would have a nickel plated body to reduce the chance of seizing on the head.

Check the plugs. My Subaru's manual said it had long life platinum plugs, but in fact was fitted with conventional Champion copper cores from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back