2002 Ford F250 with 5.4L...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here but I spent a few hours looking over some of the old posts and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for so forgive me if this has been answered here before...

I have been running Mobil 1 5w-30 in it since new, it now has 9,000 miles (yes 9,000 miles) and I've been thinking about going to the 0w-20. Good idea or not..? I insist on using an oil I can buy off the shelf so if your going to recommend something else please keep that in mind...

Thanks, Ski

Oops… it’s a 4WD with an auto and will be my daily driver once I get back to the states. Tows quads and a race car on occasions…

Ski

Nothing wrong with that.

However most of the Ford OHC V-8's seem to do as well on the 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend ($1.42 @ WalMart) as anything. At least for 5000 ml oil changes. Check out the UOA's for the Towing 6.8L V10 on this oil.

BTW If you are active-duty military, thanks for serving your country.

PATMAN how about giving the man a banner (or whatever you call it) if he is.

Gene

[ June 24, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

I was... I got out a few years ago though. I’ve been working overseas since fall 2002 and I’m hoping to go back home in a few months.

The truck has only had about 1,000 miles put on it since I left and I changed the oil in October last year when I was home on vacation.

Well in that case PATMAN how about a Veteran Banner for the man... and thank you for serving then and come home safe.

Gene

I am one of the grumpy ones that think the xw-20 oils are used purely for meeting CAFE requirements. I'd continue with Mobil 1 5w-30 or better 10w-30 since its more shear stable.

If you like Mobil 1 and can get it easily then their 5W-30 is a fine oil and you can't go wrong. But their 0W-20 seems to be even a better constructed oil and works really good in engines that are spec'd for XW-20 oils, such as you 5.4L Ford Modular engine. Even Motorcraft 5W-20 oil performs well in these engines. So unless you're racing or autoX every weekend
wink.gif
I'd go with the Mobil 1 0W-20. Especially since your year engine was spec'd for XW-20 oil. I'm using Motorcraft 5W-20 in my 4.6L and it has performed well so far. It's been great in the winter and even quiet in the summer. I did a UOA at around 10,000 miles and it was doing well. I'll be doing another UOA at around 20,000 miles with 5,000 miles on the oil next time.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back