2002 Ford F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace all of the fluids in my 2002 Ford F150 and would like to get the best MPG possible. I do some towing with the truck, but basically a lot of back and forth to work and the cabin. I would like to go synthetic because I know they can usually offer better protection, better mpg, and longer service intervals but dont know much about this area of the vehicles lubrication system. Just for clafification i am looking to do front and rear difs, automatic trans, and transfer case. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 for the rear diff, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 for the front diff, and Motorcraft Mercon V for the trans and transfer case is my vote.

Check your owners manuel but I believe your diffs already have synth in them.With that said M1 oils have worked well for me in many very high mileage Fords.

The diffs come factory filled with a synthetic 75W-140 in the rear and a conventional 75W-90 in the front.

M1 diff oils are decent, Amsoil Severe Gear is better.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 for the rear diff, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 for the front diff, and Motorcraft Mercon V for the trans and transfer case is my vote.

I agree. I would use Amsoil ATF in your transmission and a synthetic of choice in your transfer case and Synthetic in your engine. Put in new OEM spark plugs if you have not yet done this.

Happy motoring!

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of amsoil. I did actually change the rear dif with mobil 1 75w-90 last summer, and it seems to be working well. I run Mobil 1 5w20 in the engine and I am happy with it, but i was unsure how their gear lube and atf stack up against the competition. I have already changed the spark plugs. And i forgot to add that this truck already has 200k on it.

If you don't like Amsoil, Redline makes a great gear oil as well.

I just think Amsoil Severe Gear is an outstanding product. I do not use Amsoil motor oils except in ATVs.

02 F150 owner here with V6 and 4R70W. I put Coastal Mercon ATF in during the last pan drop change on the tranny. Seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back