2002 Ford Expedition 5.4L 12,000Km M1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Just a quick question, is this oil a grp III, IV???

IIRC, it is Group IV. Doug could likely provide more details. This formula (CI-4+) is the same as the CI-4+ Delvac 1 5w40.

I've read D1/TDT is 25% group V.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Just a quick question, is this oil a grp III, IV???

IIRC, it is Group IV. Doug could likely provide more details. This formula (CI-4+) is the same as the CI-4+ Delvac 1 5w40.

I've read D1/TDT is 25% group V.

It wouldn't surprise me. Did you see Doug's tear-down pictures of his D1 runs? Phenomenal results.

It wouldn't surprise me. Did you see Doug's tear-down pictures of his D1 runs? Phenomenal results.

I have not, where can I see them?

Hi,
a great report! A TBN may have led you to 20kkms or more - next time perhaps!

The 5.4 engine in OZ and NZ has a range of acceptable viscosities listed by Mobil. From 10W-30, 0W-40 to 5W-50!

Oh and yes after 1m kms petrol engines do sound like diesels on this lubricant as it converts them from spark to compression ignition over time. My Porsche 928's all started this at at around 50kkms and the Boxster has just begun.............well now for the serious people, JOKING of course!!

As a matter of interest the 928's 32v V8's trended UOAs over several years on this lubricant (in the UOAs section) showed around 30kKms and two years was a very conservative expectation
The lowest TBN was 7.5 (D4739) at 17.5kkms

The lowest TBN I have seen with this lubricant in my Class 8 DD 12.7ltr engines was 2 (DD minimum is 1 to D4739)at OCI of 75kkms.

If you are willing to do a filter change you can probably leave this in for a lot longer. Lets see what the TBN is like though before we make a blanket statement like that.

What is up with the junk? Did you have a collant leak at some point of a broken air or vacum line?

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
If you are willing to do a filter change you can probably leave this in for a lot longer. Lets see what the TBN is like though before we make a blanket statement like that.

What is up with the junk? Did you have a collant leak at some point of a broken air or vacum line?

Filter is a Fleetguard Stratapore, it should easily hold up............

What "junk" are you referring to? No coolant leak or broken vacuum line. The coolant was changed back when the T-stat was replaced in March. It has needed none since then, as the level has not moved.

The air filter was in and out many times during this run. I have had to clean the TB blade a few times due to it accruing volatized gunk from the crankcase, though this has lessened considerably over time. I am unaware as to how long the vehicle was driven with a broken thermostat, so it may have accumulated some interesting deposits in the crankcase that are now being cleaned-up.

As I said in an earlier post, the oil was placed in a glass jar that had dishwasher detergent residue in it that I did try to clean up, but didn't know if any remained, or if it would show up in this report. Now if the dog hadn't eaten the original TOROMONT container.....
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
a great report! A TBN may have led you to 20kkms or more - next time perhaps!

The 5.4 engine in OZ and NZ has a range of acceptable viscosities listed by Mobil. From 10W-30, 0W-40 to 5W-50!

Oh and yes after 1m kms petrol engines do sound like diesels on this lubricant as it converts them from spark to compression ignition over time. My Porsche 928's all started this at at around 50kkms and the Boxster has just begun.............well now for the serious people, JOKING of course!!

As a matter of interest the 928's 32v V8's trended UOAs over several years on this lubricant (in the UOAs section) showed around 30kKms and two years was a very conservative expectation
The lowest TBN was 7.5 (D4739) at 17.5kkms

The lowest TBN I have seen with this lubricant in my Class 8 DD 12.7ltr engines was 2 (DD minimum is 1 to D4739)at OCI of 75kkms.

Thanks Doug! Will be getting a TBN/TAN on the next run for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back