2002 Ford Expedition 5.4L 12,000Km M1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why you would run a Diesel oil in a gasser, especially a Ford 5.4 that requires 5W-20 weight for it to run properly! Yikes!....

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I don't understand why you would run a Diesel oil in a gasser, especially a Ford 5.4 that requires 5W-20 weight for it to run properly! Yikes!....

Quote:
Product Description

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is a fully synthetic performance heavy duty diesel engine oil that helps extend engine life while providing long drain capability and fuel economy for modern diesel engines operating in severe applications. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, ,,,,,Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

The performance of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the latest API, ACEA, JASO, and Global industry specifications for diesel engine oils.

M1 TDT is probably the best overall oil you can buy all things considered. It's a very good oil and can be obtained anywhere. For mixed use too.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

To run properly?

I've run both oils (M1 5w20 and M1 5w40) in this engine and it is quieter on the 5w40. No loss of power (if anything it works BETTER) either.

It also uses zero oil between changes on the 5w40.

It is also spec'd for 5w40/15w40 in Australia.

This engine does NOT require 5w20 to run properly. And this oil will last twice as long (easily) between changes as the 5w20. That is SAVING me money.

I don't understand the fear of using 5w40 in an engine that was originally spec'd for 5w30, and spec's heavier weights all over the world.

Very good report! You should get lots of life out of that engine.
That's a non-VVT engine so, in theory, it's a bit more tolerant of higher viscosity oils than the 3V 5.4L is with variable valve timing. Plus you have a higher miles engine. Still, I wonder whether is was the viscosity that lowered the oil consumption or the TDT chemistry. No matter what, as they say, "You can't argue with results!" Well, BITOGers can... but nobody else!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
BAH HAHAHAH, it's a Canadian Lab eh
wink.gif

Though I imagine the fact that it doesn't state Km is going to screw people who don't read what's posted above the UOA up.

LOL.gif
I had to do a double take ..since it just seemed like yesterday when you cut open the 0w-20 filter (iirc).

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
In an Expedition, that's a [censored]-load of gas!

Yeah, but it's a great ride.

Just give him enough time. His truck will sound like a diesel with TDT 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Billy007

Just give him enough time. His truck will sound like a diesel with TDT 5w40.

Not sure if this is a joke or a slam?

Side-note:

I am curious as to the 4ppm of Copper being from the oil, or just noise. Since the engine has bi-metal bearings with no copper in them.

Many possible sources of copper but at 4ppm, 0.0004 percent??? Noise!

I'm about to change the oil on my '05 5.4L 3V after an 8K run on 5W20 RP and a Motorcraft 820S. We shall see?

Why do you keep saying this? It isn't true, and saying it repeatedly won't ever make it true.

Ford has spec'd 40 and 50-weights for the 5.4, you do realize this right? It must be a real shock to the "must run 20-weight" brainwashing you've undergone.

PS, you may want to read what Motorcraft says about 5W-20.
1. They admit it is CAFE driven
2. They readily admit that 10W-30 is safe to run in a 5W-20 spec'd Modular.

Modulars were not designed to run on 20-weight oils, nor do they in any way require them.

PS, nice report OVERK1LL. Amazing that your Modular didn't pull a project Manhattan on a 40-weight oil. Who could have guessed?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Why do you keep saying this? It isn't true, and saying it repeatedly won't ever make it true.

Ford has spec'd 40 and 50-weights for the 5.4, you do realize this right? It must be a real shock to the "must run 20-weight" brainwashing you've undergone.

Modulars were not designed to run on 20-weight oils, nor do they in any way require them.

PS, nice report OVERK1LL. Amazing that your Modular didn't pull a project Manhattan on a 40-weight oil. Who could have guessed?
LOL.gif

This is what ford has to say about the 5W20

"Why 5W20 Oil?

5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life.
The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up.

Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil"

https://www.fleet.ford.com/FFH/Why5W20Oil05_23_06.asp?News=Government

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

LOL.gif

"Why 5W20 Oil?

5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life.
The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up.

Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil"

I wonder what their Aussie fleet document states
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Just a quick question, is this oil a grp III, IV???

IIRC, it is Group IV. Doug could likely provide more details. This formula (CI-4+) is the same as the CI-4+ Delvac 1 5w40.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Just a quick question, is this oil a grp III, IV???

IIRC, it is Group IV. Doug could likely provide more details. This formula (CI-4+) is the same as the CI-4+ Delvac 1 5w40.

Thanks for the info.

"Why 5W20 Oil?

This is also what Ford says about 5W-20, it also sheds some light on the marketing department's reasoning behind their 5W-20 claims.

Q. Why did Motorcraft® release SAE 5W-20 motor oil?
A. It was the right thing to do for the consumer and for the environment. It was one of Ford's first steps in working to improve the fuel economy of our SUVs by 25% by the 2005 calendar year. SAE 5W-20 improves fuel consumption by approximately 0.6 percent. For the 2001 fleet, this amounts to reducing fuel usage by more than 21 million gallons per year. This reduction in gasoline consumption leads to a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons per year, which is equivalent to taking nearly 23,100 cars and trucks off the road each year.
B. Ford Motor Company has a responsibility to make its vehicles more environmentally friendly plus this is a better oil. Also, the industry is converting from GF2 level products to GF3 and Motorcraft 5W-20 is leading the way for our product line up.

Q. Why did we change to 5W-20? What was wrong with 10W-40, 10W-30 etc?
A: 10W-30 and 10W-40 are old technology. We introduced 5W-20 to take advantage of new technology in the industry to provide improved fuel economy, low emissions, and better engine protection.

Q. What if a fleet wants to use 10W-30 instead of 5W-20, is that problem?
A: If these are gasoline engines, a 10W-30 is okay. However, why wouldn't they want to take advantage of the fuel economy savings and superior engine protection of a 5W-20. Remind them that 10W-30 is two oil generations old.

Read it all here: http://www.dantheoilman.com/fordoilfaq.doc

As you can see, 5W-20 was primarily CAFE driven. And all of Motorcraft's statements regarding 5W-30/10W-30/10W-40 being "old technology" and offering inferior "protection" were driven by the fact that 5W-20 was Motorcraft's first GF-3 compliant grade. They are comparing a GF-3 5W-20 to GF-2 30 and 40 weights, and using that as the basis for their "superior engine protection" and "old technology" claims, not the viscosity.

The thing is, modern 5W-30/10W-30s meet GF-4, so using Motorcraft's logic they are more modern and offer superior protection than their GF-3 5W-20 did. See how that works?

Apples to apples, a 5W-20 will offer inferior protection than a 5W-30/10W-30/10W-40 in extreme heat. And Ford states right in the 3rd Q&A I posted that these engines do NOT require a 20-weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back