2002 F150 ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to change out the ATF in my 2002 F150 as i am not sure if it has ever been done. I bought the truck with 190000 and its currently at 218000 miles. My main question on atf is if synthetic is worth it? I was thinking i would use Mobil 1 but cannot find much information on it. I would like to get as much MPG out of the truck as possible and would like to run the fluid as long as possible, would the Mobil 1 syntheic help at all? What other brands would you reccomend for my application with fuel economy in mind? Also, I do not do much towing and I live in wisconsin so 3 months of the year are pretty cold.

I think synthetic ATF is good for cold weather shifting and possibly increasing the life of your transmission. However, if you are looking for increased MPGs out of your truck, you may want to seriously look at changing the gear oil in the differential to a synthetic gear oil. That will probably get you a tangible MPG increase that you can actually see.

I've got a '99 F150 with the 4.6. I used Mobil 1 ATF in my last tranny fluid change, and honestly didn't notice any difference -fuel mileage, or seat of the pants. Currently running a Penzoil ATF fluid meeting the Mercon V spec as required. Working just fine. Presently at 192,000 miles.

As far as synthetic differential fluid, the rear, if it has the correct fluid, (and as shipped from the factory) will already be a synthetic 75w140. Not much gain to be had there.

I agree about the 75w-140 factory fill/recommended synthetic comment, however, it could be worn out and maybe needing to be changed. Also, it comes down to experimentation as well. For myself, I tried a 75w-90 gear oil in my truck and it worked like a charm and I won't be looking back. If there's minimal towing involved, I'd definitely look to give Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 a try and see what happens.

I would use any name brand Mercon V rated fluid. I don't think you would find a noticeable fuel economy improvement from using a synthetic.

I agree. Use Mercon V. It's not only what's spec'ed for the truck, it's a good spec and a high quality oil. COnsider the mileage of the truck too. I doubt a super expensive oil is going to help the truck much at 200K+ miles, though an oil change is in order no matter what. Me, I'd go to WalMart and buy Motorcraft Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Me, I'd go to WalMart and buy Motorcraft Mercon V.
Your Wally's sells Motorcraft ATF?
20.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Me, I'd go to WalMart and buy Motorcraft Mercon V.
Your Wally's sells Motorcraft ATF?
20.gif

Last time I looked, yeah.

Good ol' WM Supertech Mercon V is all you need. I suggest that you add an extra capacity pan with a drain plug so you can do pan drain and fills every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back