2002 Corolla and M1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Corolla with 40K and last oil change (37500) I switched to M1 5w-30 Synthetic Oil. The other night I saw the oil light come on and I popped the hood and checked the oil...it didn't even register on the dipstick. There was only 3500 miles on the oil but since it was so low I just decided to do an Oil Change with the filter. Man was it dirty!! My 4-runner has about 6K on the M1 and it is still full and the oil is still a bronze color. My question is: Where did the oil go. I don't seem to be burning oil and I never had this problem with Dino oil. Any clues to what may be wrong?

Well when you did put it in assuming that you filled it to the full mark. Then eather it was leaking from the filter, drain plug. Or there is something wrong with the engine and it's burning the oil.

When you did drain it how many quarts came out?

I don't understand these many reports of M1 doing major burnoff after switching from dino. I have M1 5-30 in my '01 Grand Caravan (3.8L, 86K miles, dino all its life) for the first time and it hasn't moved off of the full mark in 2000 miles.

I know what you mean. My toyota 4-runner has 126,000 miles and never burned any oil over all those miles. My current car, 1998 accord, same thing. Not a drop burned or leaking. I check the level of my oil when using synthetic when its cold in the a.m. before I even start the car.

I got a 99 Corolla which is pretty much the same car.M1 5W30 since 3K miles(currently 50K) then I switched to Dino at 47K.Much cheaper.
smile.gif

I never had any consumption problems at all with M1 in this motor however my 02 Sienna can consume a half quart over a 3k OCI.
mad.gif

Surprisingly I get the best gas milage with ST 5W30.Runs well with this "cheap" oil
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
I know what you mean. My toyota 4-runner has 126,000 miles and never burned any oil over all those miles.

Did it start burning oil when you switched to synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back