2002 Chevy Silverado Tire Recommendation for highway use/no towing

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado (LT) and it's time for new tires (255/70/16)

Need safe and solid tires. Not going to Costco because not much to choose from.

Truck is mostly used for highway driving. No towing.

Any good deals out there?

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated

I looked into Michelin Defenders. Father in law has them on his Silverado.

Defenders are currently 217$ each. Looking for something comparable but better pricing.

I am getting ready to put new shoes on my wife's Buick Encore. I know, I know, no comparison to the weight and size of a pick up truck. I am looking at Mastercraft tires which are made by Cooper. I already have them on my Dodge Dart (installed by the dealer) and they are holding up well. Prices are very reasonable. That said, I do have Michelins on my 2003 Durango.....and they are great tires......but they are priced as such as well.

Don't overlook Consumer Reports reviews/recommendations on Highway All Season Tires for pickup trucks.
IIRC, Discount Tire Direct is having their 4th of JULY Sale NOW! Give'em a look.

I looked into Michelin Defenders. Father in law has them on his Silverado.

Defenders are currently 217$ each. Looking for something comparable but better pricing.
I have no idea what the market for guys buying new trucks and pulling their OEM tires and wheels are in CA. When I lived in Salt Lake City, the very common trend was to buy a new full-size pickup and pull the OEM wheels and tires and replace those oems with aftermarket black wheels and noisy tires. One, if patient, could find a great deal on OEM installed tires with under 500 miles on them. On both my F350s, and my Navigator, I have Defenders that were acquired in that manner.

Being your truck is a 1/2 ton, finding Defenders that were made in 2021/2022 with next to zero miles on them may not be so hard. E rated truck tires are a bit harder to find, but the 1/2 ton tires were very available in SLC.

Last edited:
GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43
235 /65 R16 103T SL BSW
$146
Excellent tire with 75,000 mile warranty
Max Load 1,929 lbs
Rim Range 6.5-7.5"

Last edited:
I also have the 2002 Silverado and put Firestone Destination LE2's on it almost 2 years ago and they seem to be doing very well.

Around late August through Black Friday Walmart randomly clears out all seasons for half price or less, I try to buy all my tires during that event.

Michelin defender
Continental terrain contact h/t
General Hts60
Firestone Destination h/t2

All are good. Pick your favorite brand, pick what you can get the best deal on but if you pick any of those 4 you should be highly satisfied.

It’s a 20 year old truck, there’s no need to put high dollar tires on it. Choose a second or third tier brand. Master Craft, Hercules, B.F. Goodrich, Uniroyal, General HTS 60.
Why does it being old negate 1st tier tires? My kids have older vehicles. I put what I consider best for the conditions I drive on all my vehicles. My kids and wife drive all our vehicles.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado (LT) and it's time for new tires (255/70/16)

Need safe and solid tires. Not going to Costco because not much to choose from.

Truck is mostly used for highway driving. No towing.

Any good deals out there?

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated
How many miles per year? What is the primary use of vehicle (daily commute, family trips)? Who is driving it?

GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43
235 /65 R16 103T SL BSW
$146
Excellent tire with 75,000 mile warranty
Max Load 1,929 lbs
Rim Range 6.5-7.5"
You have to derate SL tires 10% when being put on a light truck. From what I can find, the lowest the 2002 Silverado came with was a 106 load index tire.

It’s a 20 year old truck, there’s no need to put high dollar tires on it. Choose a second or third tier brand. Master Craft, Hercules, B.F. Goodrich, Uniroyal, General HTS 60.
I had a set of Ironman (sub brand of Hercules) tires on my 300, they were down to 4/32 within 20,000 miles.

Back